PC/Mac networking

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jhuynh49, Feb 15, 2006.

1. jhuynh49 macrumors member

I am trying to share a printer that is currently connected to my PC desktop with my iBook. I configured a "home network" on my PC with a certain name, and selected that files and printers be shared. How would I access this from my iBook? Thanks for any help.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. jhuynh49 thread starter macrumors member

I've tried using the support provided in that link above, but I still cannot get it to work. I tried manually entering it too.

Does it have anything to do with the drivers? I've already installed that on the iBook as well.

From the PC, I already set it up as "shared".

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

So, when you're in the Printer Setup Utility and you click Add > Windows Printing does the name of the workgroup you set up appear?
    if so does the PC appear in the list in the window?
    If so i'm guessing the printer doesn't show up in the list that appears when you double-click the PC name?

The more info you can provide on exactly what you've done and are doing the better..

5. jhuynh49 thread starter macrumors member

Even after I select the "Windows Printing" my PC doesn't show up either. Is there something specific I'm supposed to do on my desktop PC?

6. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

I think you have to turn on printer sharing on the PC. It's either in Network or some kind of Printer control panel (been a while since I used windows)

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Does the workgroup name show up? (directly underneath "Windows Printing")

8. jhuynh49 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, my printer is set as shared.

Yes, there is "Workgroup" under "Windows Printing" -- which should be my workgroup since I did not change it to another name.

9. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Like Mr Mister, it's been a while since i've gone near Windows networking,

but i have a feeling that you need to share the account on the PC, not just the printer to get it to work, because the mac needs to "log on" to the PC to see the shares available to it

10. jhuynh49 thread starter macrumors member

Would you be able to tell me how to go about doing that?

11. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

sorry - the only PC i have access to isn't around at the mo and my memory of howto is pretty dodgy - you could try disabling/configuring the (pretty nasty) firewall on XP and sharing My Documents, just temporarily, to see if you can get it working.
    There must be some Windows users floating around tho... (even on a mac forum ;) )
    If i get there before anyone else, i'll let you know.

12. jhuynh49 thread starter macrumors member

I've enabled Windows Sharing on my iBook, changed the settings on my PC Windows Firewall. I was able to find and successfully add my HP printer to the iBook's printer list. BUT... when I printed a document which had about one paragraph worth of text, a first single page came out having random characters on followed by incessant blank page ejections. I think it's because there isn't a driver associated with the printer at this point, for it only shows as "Generic". I downloaded the setup files from HP.com, but can't seem to get the two to associate -- two being the printer and the driver. Any ideas? Thanks!

13. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Can you connect the printer directly to the iBook?
    That way you might have more luck installing the HP drivers for it (it sounds like it really needs them), and then put it back on the PC and try setting it up again as a network printer (with the drivers hopefully now available).

14. jhuynh49 thread starter macrumors member

When I connect the iBook directly to the printer via USB, it shows up just fine, and prints just fine. So I'm assuming the drivers are installed correctly? It's just when I use the [same] "networked" printer, I haven't been able to associate the printer with the proper drivers. Have you any idea where I could find the driver files when I'm adding the printer over a network?

15. jhuynh49 thread starter macrumors member

I've got it installed, using this link:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/hpijs/

I actually was chatting with the HP Online Technician (my printer is an HP), and he directed me to that link. It works perfectly! Thanks for everyone's help!