PC/Mac printer sharing question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macguymike, Mar 28, 2004.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

I have a Lexmark Z35 attached to my Dell desktop. I have turned on printer sharing and my PowerBook (connecting via WiFi on a Linksys router) can see it in the Print Setup Utility. However, even after reinstalling the drivers, I still do not see it in the Lexmark printer list.

Because of this, I can only add it to my printer list as a generic inkjet printer and the print dialogue will not let me change image quality or anything.

Also, when I tried to print, the Lexmark print utility starts on Windows and the printer responds briefly, but no paper feeds and nothing prints.

I'm stuck as to what to do next. Help?

2. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

3. arsbanned macrumors newbie

Hi
    I wonder if this would help your situation. I used it with my daughters iBook to connect to an unsupported printer (Canon S600).
    The drop down box in the printer setup should show Windows Printing as one of the options?

4. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

I can get to the Windows Printing option. I can even see the printer to select it. But, when I go to select the model from the drop down menu below, my model (Lexmark Z35) does not show up, even though I have the driver installed.

I'll check out the link and see if it helps at all.

5. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Try the GIMP-print drivers. Also, try another Lexmark driver for a similar model (Z42,43,45,52).

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I saw this same problem with our Canon i550. It seems that the driver installs in some sort of "local only" mode. If you plug the printer directly into your Mac, I bet you're able to select it. But it doesn't work over the SMB share.

My admittedly uneducated guess is it's due to the printer manufacturers not playing "nice" with the print support in OS X - the open-source CUPS system in other words. It's just like in Windows. Many printer drivers try to do an end-around the built-in printing framework, and instead try to install their own crappy support framework.

Probably your only option is gimp-print, which was already pointed out. Hopefully the printer is supported there, because many aren't (or have very poor quality drivers).