PC/Mac printer sharing question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joeyjojoe, Mar 29, 2004.

1. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a Powerbook with OSX 10.3 and my roommate has a Windows PC with a Minolta PagePro 1350W laser printer (note: the Minolta page says this printer only works in a Windows environment). I was wondering if there is any way to use this printer from my mac via print sharing?
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    if there are drivers in open source for your printer you might have a chance.

3. arsbanned macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2004
    Maine, U.S.
    If you check out the Printer setup applet, you'll see an option to add a printer via Windows Printing. Browse to the printer (which should be shared on the Windows box) and select it. You then choose the appropriate driver and it should work.
    I had no problem adding the printer on my Windows network to my OS X 10.3 system. Good luck.
  4. mgann macrumors newbie

Dec 8, 2004
    Same Issue, Different Spin

OK, I have a brand-new iBook G4 hooked up to the AirPort Extreme base station. I also have a PC desktop hooked up to the Ethernet port in the base station and the PagePro 1350W hooked into the base station as well.

I have tried to enable printing using the following steps to no avail. I have also called Apple Tech Support who said that I had to first create a Workgroup on my PC. Then, on the iBook, this Workgroup would appear when trying to add via Windows Printing. Apparently, the printer is supposed to appear as an IP address that I can add. This didn't work either. Any suggestions?

For the record (not sure if it matters), I have successfully "pinged" the iBook from my desktop. So it appears that the machines recognize each other but something -- probably on the PC side -- is still amiss.