PC-Mac switch

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by gaomay, Jun 18, 2002.

1. gaomay macrumors regular

I currently use a PC at home but in the next few weeks will be upgrading to aMac (probably an eMac). I've just moved house and want to set up my internet connection (56k modem) so my question is can I set up an internet connection on the Pc and then just plug the eMac into it when I get it by entering the appropriate settings?

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

First of all, welcome to the Mac Empire! I am sure you will be enjoying your computing days from now on...

The eMac already has a 56k modem, so if you get internet connection on your PC, there should be no problem with the eMac if you configure the settings correctly.

Good luck!

irmongoose

3. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

If you're asking about how to share the internet connection between the two computers, something like surfdoubler would do the trick. You can find out more here.

4. big macrumors 65816

big

how about dial-up service for the mac? I really need a free service just to check email when out on trips (& Macrumors of course). PC's have Juno and others, any suggestions?

5. gaomay thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks for the advice - hopefully I will get my eMac and 10Gb iPod soon!

How compatible with MS Office documents is Appleworks? I'm trying to avoid sehlling out for Office X!

6. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Have a look at www.apple.com/appleworks. You can read and write to microsoft word and excel documents using the latest update of aw.

7. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Well, there aren't any free services that I know of, but if your on a trip, will you be lugging your eMac with you?

I would suggest getting a Mac.com email account, which functions as regular e-mail, bur is also accessible as webmail.

When travelling, you can log on from any connected PC.

Or you could just do what my sister does, create a new AOL trial account whenever she's on a long trip, and cancel it when she returns.

8. big macrumors 65816

big

ummm, that's what the Ibook is for, I wouldn't dream of lugging around an emac, I found some $5 a month dial up accounts that might work, though that would also be another $5 a month. oh well

9. hestres macrumors newbie

Whatever ISP you're using at home may have local access numbers in other places around the country, and even internationally. When you go on a trip, try to find out if there's a local access where you will be (most likely from their website, or using the configuring utility they sent you, if any). Then swap that number for the one you normally use, dial into your account using that number while you're away, and change it back when you get home. All major ISP's (Earthlink, MSN, AOL, AT&T, etc.) have local access numbers all across the country. Good luck :)

10. Stormyguy macrumors regular

gaomay

I echo what's been said here. If the eMac is as good as the iMac setup system then you just take it out the box, plug it all in load the OS and off you go - it'll automatically ask for your ISP/e-mail details (so have those handy - domain names, passwords, usernames etc etc etc - and of course their telephone number). It should all go like clockwork. Then all you need to do is set all the mail/web preferences to your liking later - i.e. leave copies of mail on server - blah blah blah.

PS: Applestore UK/Ireland is best for good advice on your purchase and there are warranty benefits (I see yr in Scotland).

Hope that helps.
    Danny

11. gaomay thread starter macrumors regular

online gaming

Thanks for the advice - can't wait to get one now!

Any advice on which ISPs are best for low ping for online gaming?

12. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Actually, you don't need that at all if the pc is running windoze Me, 2k, or XP. M$ included a feature called internet connection sharing that you can turn on in windows and it'll allow the pc to act as a software router in the background. Just like surfdoubler, but free.

13. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that :)

The only problem with that (and surfdoubler too for that matter), is that some ISP's don't like you to share your internet connection with more than one computer. You may want to check first before going ahead and doing it.

14. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Heh, no prob. The way I see it with the ISPs tho, is that what they don't know won't hurt them :rolleyes:. I mean, if you're just routing traffic to two computers, you'll only be using 1 IP address and by all accounts, you'll appear to just be 1 computer.