PC Mag article

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jxyama, Dec 11, 2003.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

absolutely the finest piece of professional writing ever.

PC Mag

(i'm being sarcastic.)

2. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: PC Mag article

Everything he said was true, whats the problem?

3. BillClinton macrumors member

I understand that everything in this article is true. However, It really made me upset when he was talking about how AAC was cracked. He made it seem like it was never going to happen. WTF??? WMA or WAV will also be cracked so what's the big deal? Whatever, just my 2 cents.

4. BillClinton macrumors member

Could have dealt without that little comment at the end as well.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Let's see, three security updates after three months, and only one was "critical", and that's assuming the cracker can actually get into your network, which is kind of hard for a wired home network. Compare that to how many in the past month for Windows?

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I think he's just jealous. People who go on the defensive generally are. Nyah nyah!

7. Edot macrumors 6502

Re: Re: PC Mag article

It was an unprofessional piece of writing. And although his main point is true he says some things that are unsupported. For instance,

"If the Macintosh OS ever became dominant, the tables would turn, and there would be just as many reports of viruses, security holes, and attacks on it as we currently have with Windows."

By the tone of the article it seems as though he is a windows zealot that finally found a response to people that harass him about Windows security. Why should this response be taken any more seriously than mac zealots about Mac ease of use and price/value ratio. It is known that no system is perfect, but when you have a choice to use a system that is much less vulnerable, for whatever reason, the argument, "Well your system isn't perfect!" really doesn't say much.

8. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: Re: PC Mag article

he he, i guess i can always count on you to "defend" the PC side... :D

the biggest problem i had with that article was not so much the content but his writing style. it was very unprofessional and almost childish.

this is tabloid material. if he's even paid a penny to write on a respected magazine like PC Mag, he should never write like this. i also thought it was a nice touch of him to not put his contact info in the article.

as for the content, the basic message of the article is "ha ha, your (mac) OS sucks as much as mine (windows)!!" - yeah, that's a really professional viewpoint. :rolleyes: offers nothing constructive to the readers... it's basically a personal rant.

9. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

The Slashdot Discussion on this article is a tad less biased :rolleyes:

I think the most important thing is none of these security flaws in OS X have been exploited by a virus or worm. Windows on the other hand....

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

but the great thing is is that he can talk all he wants. but when it comes down to it, we dont get hacked, simple as that. we may be vulnerable but nothing has happened yet and all the windows users have to worry so who cares.

iJon

11. leet1 macrumors 6502

Nothing to worry about as long as you have a firewall and don't open strange files ;)

12. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

but those are not nothing! :D

13. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The main problem I have with this article is that it uses bad logic. Mac OS X has one serious confirmed vulnerability, XP has had dozens if not hundreds. Yet all of a sudden, Mac OS X is just as insecure as XP?

While his factual information was certainly all true, the conclusions drawn are way off the mark.

14. PryorMD macrumors newbie

Where's the virus?

I must have missed hearing about the OS X virus (or worm) that went around the internet. Yeah, the OS had a few holes but unless I'm mistaken they were patched relatively quickly and there wasn't an actual virus attack.

This guy's got a stiffy over a 'potential vulnerability' - imagine the article he would have written if there was an actual virus.

Sometimes there is an advantage to being in the minority, a point the author fails to understand. One of the reasons I like the Mac platform is that there is less spyware, viruses and other crap out there that can affect my computer.