PC Magazine calls Napster "The Best Online Music Store."

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Flowbee, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

2. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

There are some sales numbers in the current issue of Rolling Stone, I have it at home and will update this post when I can. From what I remember, the total sales were only a fraction of what the iTunes Music Store accomplished in its debut.

UPDATE: "[Napster's] new pay service, launched October 29th, sold about 300,000 downloads in its first week (which is about one-fifth of what Apple's iTunes store sold during the same time period)."

From Rolling Stone "Napster University" dated December 11, 2003, page 48.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

And I call PC Magazine "The Best Lining for Bird Cages."

4. Mblazened macrumors regular

Hilarious!

5. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I personally don't see how Napster is going to keep their store going. To offer a good deal, and run a good store, you are taking a big financial hit. Apple has the capital to do it, and iPod sales because of the store help, but Roxio sells Toast, and some other software...

Besides, Roxio doesn't have McDonalds and Pepsi on their side... I just hope roxio doesn't partner up with Coca-Cola... If they do, though, Apple should offer a thing where you can mail in or trade in the coke ones for music from the iTunes Music Store... Although I highly doubt that'll happen...

6. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

The owner of The Edge Records was speaking in my music industry class this past Monday and I asked him if he had be in contact at all with Apple or Napster about online distribution. He answered that he hadn't, although his company had made deals before with online company's that all had gone out of buisness and the one current company he would consider dealing with is Apple, because they definitely aren't going anywhere. I think Apple will prevail in this battle simply because it's going to be trusted more as a company to handle the distribution of music online and not go broke after a year or so (as Napster might).

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What do you call it when they write all those Pro-Apple articles?

PC Magazine always favours its greatest advertisers.

8. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Agreed. I remember reading somewhere that iTMS isn't breaking even yet. There is no way that Roxio can sustain losses fro any great length of time, unless they get bought out.

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The article says that while Napster has 500,000 tracks, you can only download 460,000 of them. I'd say that it only has 460,000 tracks then, and an additional 40,000 space holders!:rolleyes:

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

this is laughable... who is Piece of Crap of magazine kidding with this? i dont understand how they can possibly justify that statement...

11. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I think PC Mag has always liked the subscription music store model.

From the article (quoted in the press release):

"While all three of these stores are good efforts, Napster 2.0 (now owned by Roxio) is currently the best online music store, thanks to its combination of winning perks: It combines a monthly subscription services with pay-per-track shopping; it has a catalog of over 500,000 tracks (460,000 of which can be downloaded) from major and minor labels; and it offers a great user experience when you're browsing and trying to discover new artists."

I should have probably quoted that in the first post of this thread.

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Ah, bribery! The true art of journalism.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Why not.

iTMS has got Rave Reviews...

Even with no backing they should be allowed to do such...

Best Store?

Sure its over the Top... but So was apple's Claim that the G5 was the fastest ...

:eek:

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yep, you're right. The world's fastest desktop, after all, is made by go-l.

:p :p :p

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Oh yes.

Our CPU's Aren't OVERCLOCKED* !

Ha, how can you state that they are?

*Machines orignally clocked at 3.2 GHZ

You have no basis for your argument!

;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

16. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Not to mention that everything they "make" either does not exist or is the product of a different company.

Interesting investigative work on the shady Miguel Liebermann and Lisa Ciesniewski here. The only bad thing about plex.us is that it suggests that Mac user sites were the only ones that bought into this crock. Oddly enough, that's a lie. The site does try to suggest that Mac users are more gullible than everyone else, but aside from such thoughtless innuendo, there is some great research into the scam that is "go-l."