PC Mall Gov to sell Apple products to government customers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by medea, Apr 8, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

PC Mall Gov, a subsidiary of PC Mall, announced today that it has received authorization to sell Apple products to U.S. federal government customers as part of its contract with the General Services Administration (GSA). This program "leverages Apple's traditional technological innovation to help the Government stay ahead of its rapidly changing mission," according to the company. "PC Mall Gov is excited about our expanded relationship with Apple to offer innovative technologies that make Power Macintosh computers and Mac OSX, the most widely-distributed Open Source UNIX-based operating system, the premier choice for federal agencies and employees. Apple and PC Mall Gov can provide a wide range of services and solutions to meet the needs of today's government environment," said Alan Bechara, President of PC Mall Gov."
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030408/85637_1.html
    http://www.pcmallgov.com/pcmallgov/default.asp?sessid=7ED2BA9CAE1B407DB6A7AF31E0ACB18E&button=1

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: PC Mall Gov to sell Apple products to government customers

i wonder, what kinds of places would the government implement macs in on any scale? i heard they are buying lots of dell laptops lately in the military...

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: PC Mall Gov to sell Apple products to government customers

i read an article somewhere about a lueitenant or someone using a tibook in iraq :D

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: PC Mall Gov to sell Apple products to government customers

i remember that, but there is no scale to that; it's just one guy whou was too good for a dell.

5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Re: Re: Re: PC Mall Gov to sell Apple products to government customers

I think he was higher up... possibly Lt. Col.

Yeah the military is waist deep in Dells. I was at the South Florida recruiting office (which serves I think all of Florida, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico) for my physical readiness test and there were Dell boxes all over the place. But that's a recruiting office. If you think of places like the NSA, CIA or the Pentagon they're probably not going to use Windows because it isn't secure. In fact, I went for a physical once, and they were using Unix for the medical files. I don't know how expensive Unix workstations are but I would imagine the price is right as is the security for Apple to dip into the Armed Forces.... I hope I hope!!! :D

6. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Not the AF

In my four years in the AF the only computers I saw were crappy old no name P3's, and a few laptops for our commander, and the IT people. Oh yeah and my powerBook that I would bring to work and do homework on.

7. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

I remember reading a few years ago about both a lab and a military Think tank dropping macs altogether, though no reason why, so I'm not sure who in the government is using them, you would think the mac os would be a good choice as far as security goes......

8. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

As much as I wish the Military would go apple there's always the Low Bidder factor which Apple would clearly lose everytime. Plus the military has never really liked Brands. If apple spun off an exclusive government unit capable of manufacturing industrial grade bomb proof macs for the military I think we'd have ourselves a winner. Those Panasonic Tough books aren't using the newest technology and are much slower than the macs now.