PC Media Center on a Mac Using an Xbox ??

Discussion in 'Games' started by CalGrunt, Nov 22, 2005.

1. CalGrunt macrumors regular

With an Xbox 360 and Media Center software installed on a Windows based PC, you can stream your music and pictures off of your computer directly to the Xbox and visa versa.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of interface or software that will allow you to do the same thing with an iMac ??

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Doesn't look like it... my 360 would ONLY talk to my WMC PC. Didn't give an option to talk to anything else (no "Select Computer" option or anything like that). You also have to install Media Center Extender software on the WMC PC in order for the 360 to be able to talk to it.

3. CalGrunt thread starter macrumors regular

Bummer............That's a pretty neat feature of the 360.

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Just to add, it will only communicate with Windows XP Media Center Edition.

So...

XP Home
    XP Pro
    XP Tablet
    XP Pro x64
    Mac OS
    Linux *

dont work with it

(* - might be able to using hacks or something)

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

That's not true. The XBOX 360 uses Windows Media Connect to connect to any variant of Windows XP. However, the TV capabilities are only available on PC's running Windows Media Center 2005.

According to Microsoft's XBox web site:

To access media files, including video, audio, and pictures, from a Windows XP–based PC, you need a simple Ethernet connection from the Ethernet port on the back of your Xbox 360™ console to your PC.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/howto/media/xbox360/howto-media-pc.htm

According to Paul Thurrott:

If you don't have a Media Center PC, fear not: Xbox 360 can also connect to digital photos and music (but not videos or TV shows) on any Windows XP-based personal computer. In order for this functionality to work, however, you'll need to download the latest version of Windows Media Connect (WMC) from Microsoft's Web site, although the details of this are spelled out the first time you try to use this functionality.

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/xbox360_06.asp

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That's a network transfer thing, not the actual Media Center connectivity. No streaming video without a Media Center PC. You can only transfer files in and out.

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

So you can't watch streaming videos unless you buy an overpriced Media Center PC?

Neat.

I'm sure there's some logical reasoning behind that too. Some technical issue.

Because, really - my modded Xbox can't do that. Especially not with my mac server. Wink.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Of course there's a logical reason- it boosts sales of Media Center PC's! :rolleyes:

Yeah, you can stick videos on the hard drive of the 360 from any computer, but as I understand it you can only stream if you buy an overpriced WXP:MC PC. Wow, that was some acronym.

If I don't understand this correctly, someone please correct me before I misinform anyone else. But I think that's how it works.

EDIT: From reading the site, it looks like you:

1) Can network transfer stuff onto the 360 from any PC (I'd assume a Mac, using Samba, could do this)
    2) Can stream MUSIC and pictures from a normal Windows XP computer if you have SP 2 and install Windows Media Connect. No videos.
    3) Can stream video if and only if you have a Windows Media Center PC.

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

why does everyone assume a media center pc is so overpriced? you can just buy xp media center edition and install it on your current pc. it costs less than pro.
    $114.95 with a free molex cable splitter (to satisfy "must be bought with hardware" requirement)

10. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

Can you use XP running in virtual PC to connect to the X-box ???

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Right, but the whole problem here is that you're not getting most of the functions of the Media Center PC's. And the Media Center PC's themselves are generally very expensive.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Unless you're running Media Center, I don't think you have to. I would think a Mac could network transfer stuff to the XBox just as well as Windows XP.