PC Monitor compatibility

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by crowdaddy, Mar 25, 2004.

1. crowdaddy macrumors regular

I am looking to purchase a cheap monitor for my soon to come G5 Dual 1.8...
    Do PC monitors use the same...uhh...connectors...to the computer as 'mac' monitors? Or do you have to pick up a little adapter or something. I have some PC monitors hanging around the house that would do the trick, just i hope when i get my mac all set up, i will be able to plug in a monitor and go

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i have connected my ibook to a vga monitor..no problem, no extra adaptors..so i guess you would do fine...
    and yeah..i have never seen power mac g5 :D

3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

yes. any monitor with a vga connector will work on any mac since 1997 or so and all you need is a cheap adapter to use it on older ones.

4. crowdaddy thread starter macrumors regular

ok what about the PC LCDs? Would they work with a Mac?

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

the video cards that come with the G5 have an adc and dvi connector. the adc is for apple lcd and the dvi is for 3rd party lcd. pretty sure they also come with a dvi to vga converter to use a crt. you can also get an adc to dvi converter to use 2 3rd party lcd. both adapters come with the G5 i'm sure. if not they would only be 10-15$ each I imagine.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The G5's video card has ADC and DVI. ADC is for Apple monitors, but DVI is standard for digital LCDs and some CRTs. Normal CRTs and some cheaper LCDs have VGA. I believe all Apple towers come with a DVI to VGA connector. You can check Apple.com for a list of what comes with a new Mac. G5s even have cables you can buy to convert the DVI connector to a TV. It's about $20.

I believe you can buy an ADC to VGA converter for about $20-$30.

So, yes... you can use an "PC" monitor on a new Mac.

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

with the convertor it works fine. i have a sony 19" trinitron crt with vga plug works great ;)

8. boomtopper macrumors member

boomtopper

with your g5 you get a cable connector that changes your adc connection on the graphics card to vga. I use a crt monitor with my g5 is perfect for me. But one little tip with CRT's don't put speakers right next to them it screws the picture up loads.

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

sony sure makes nice crt's. I myself have a viewsonic 19" that does up to 2048x1536. you would never get high res like that on any lcd.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Any decent flat CRT with a full suite of menu controls on the front should work fine.