PC monitor with emac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pajama, Feb 10, 2005.

1. pajama macrumors newbie

It sounds crazy, but my emac monitor has completely deserted me.

I know the computer is still running, but I have tried everything to get the monitor back and it's gone.
    Here's what happened. I turned it on one day and I heard (felt?) a loud snap and the monitor never came on.
    I've tried unplugging for a few days, I've zapped the pram, I've pushed the reset button (near the battery), I've taken the case off to see if something had been fried...nothing worked.

I finally got a mini vga adapter to see if I could use an external monitor with my emac.
    When I attached my LCD monitor, it "bounced" a message around that the "system was not supported" and when I attached the emac to an old IBM CRT, the monitor never showed anything at all. It turned on (I could hear it and see the green "on" light).
    Yes, I did zap the pram (5 times) with each new monitor.
    Is there something I am not doing to make the emac display on either of these monitors?
    I sure would appreciate any help.
    Thanks

2. pajama thread starter macrumors newbie

never mind

I finally got my emac to work with my pc monitor.

I couldn't get it to work with my LCD or an old IBM CRT, but I tried a newer CRT from my husband's eMachine and it worked!

I got a KVM switch for $19.99 at Fry's and now I am back in business with my eMac.

If anyone else has a similar problem, I would suspect that the problem with the IBM CRT was that it was too old, but I don't really know that.
    Still, if one CRT doesn't work, maybe another will.

3. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

maybe it was set to a resolution that the old CRT didn't support