PC monitor with emac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pajama, Feb 10, 2005.

1. pajama macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2005
    It sounds crazy, but my emac monitor has completely deserted me.

I know the computer is still running, but I have tried everything to get the monitor back and it's gone.
    Here's what happened. I turned it on one day and I heard (felt?) a loud snap and the monitor never came on.
    I've tried unplugging for a few days, I've zapped the pram, I've pushed the reset button (near the battery), I've taken the case off to see if something had been fried...nothing worked.

I finally got a mini vga adapter to see if I could use an external monitor with my emac.
    When I attached my LCD monitor, it "bounced" a message around that the "system was not supported" and when I attached the emac to an old IBM CRT, the monitor never showed anything at all. It turned on (I could hear it and see the green "on" light).
    Yes, I did zap the pram (5 times) with each new monitor.
    Is there something I am not doing to make the emac display on either of these monitors?
    I sure would appreciate any help.
  2. pajama thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2005
    never mind

I finally got my emac to work with my pc monitor.

I couldn't get it to work with my LCD or an old IBM CRT, but I tried a newer CRT from my husband's eMachine and it worked!

I got a KVM switch for $19.99 at Fry's and now I am back in business with my eMac.

If anyone else has a similar problem, I would suspect that the problem with the IBM CRT was that it was too old, but I don't really know that.
    Still, if one CRT doesn't work, maybe another will.
  3. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Eugene, OR
    maybe it was set to a resolution that the old CRT didn't support