PC notebook for GF

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by baby duck monge, Jul 5, 2004.

1. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

so here's the deal...
    the girlfriend is going to law school in the fall and needs to get a laptop. it seems that she needs a PC to run some sort of test-taking software, so to both of our chagrin, it looks as though a mac is out.

another unfortunate circumstance was her recent need to get a new car, thus almost wiping out her bank account.

with this in mind, does anyone have any recommendations for a PC notebook around the $1000 range (give or take a little). she's a tiny girl, so it would be nice if it didn't weigh like 10 pounds, though we know that may not be much of a possibility.

on an unrelated note, does anyone know anything about fujitsu as far as computers go?

thanks for any help you can give! i feel dirty for even asking about PCs here :eek:

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

They will cost you a little more than $1000, but I highly recommend the IBM Thinkpad X and T series. I had one, and I think IBM, like Apple, puts a lot of thought into the keyboard and monitor of their Thinkpads, which goes a long way, considering they are the two things you interact with the most.

The X series is ultra slim with a 12" screen and no cd-rom, whereas the T series is more compact with everything in there (14" screen), like the powerbook.

I had a T30 before I switched, and if I had to use a PC laptop again, I wouldn't hesitate to choose IBM.

<edit> also, check out the R series.. they may be slightly larger, but fit your budget better</edit>

Lee Tom

3. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Dell's Inspiron 1000 runs under $1000. Right now you can get it cheapest for $719 for the base model, 819 for middle, and 919 for the "high-end" one. One thing to note is that neither of these models is going to break the sound barrier, they are pretty barebones, email/word processing/web surfing machines.

Haven't dealt with a Fujitsu computer so I can't comment on those. Just to support the above, if it needs to be built like a tank, look into what IBM has to offer. I recently used a T22 and it was rock solid stable and performed nicely. It was a little bulky though.

4. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

anything with a centrino in it, without a centrino you'll get no battery life and it's going to weigh a lot
    the inspiron 1000 should be avoided, they use old battery technology integrated graphics celeron processors

5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

He asked for a machine under $1000. You'll be hard pressed to find a Centrino based notebook for that price.

6. baby duck monge thread starter macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

it can be more than $1000 because we know there aren't too many options below that price. it would just be nice if it weren't too much more.

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants