PC or Mac Laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by atif.muhammad, Nov 11, 2004.

1. atif.muhammad macrumors member

i want a laptop but im not sure whether i should get an Apple one or a Windows laptop.
    my friend has a 12" PB and he thinks its great.
    however, for the price at which he bought the PB, he could have bought 3 PC laptops.

im in the middle over which one to get?
    Apple?
    Windows-based?

if i was to get an Apple, which one should i get? iBook?PB?

2. ipodrocker macrumors member

ipodrocker

hey, depends what you want to use your laptop for, powerbook it alot better for heaving photoshop files and video editing.

why a pc laptop, unless you like windoze so much.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You could get 3 useless generic wintels, nothing half decent, as you've already been told. :rolleyes:

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You get what you pay for..
    If look at highend Pc Laptops (like Dell Latitudes, IBM thinkpads, toshibas, etc.. ) they costs the same (or more) as apples powerbook series.

I would never buy a $500 Celeron laptop, they weight 3x more than the powerbook/ibooks, they're noisy, and they're hot, the battery lasts for 1.5 hours...

You've been around here awhile and there has been several discussions about this lately.. Do a search..

5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

You can get an ibook for $1000 and save your self some time. Insted of updateing it ever 2 days (windows and aniti virus) you could be doing some work, insted of it crashing when your doing something important with a mac you will still be working, insted of having to but hundreds of dollars worth of products (Office, photo program, video editing and dvd burning) with a mac you can get them with it.

Save yourselff a few bucks and waste time/money on windows. I only use windows for gaming now.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, the cheapest usable Dell I could configure is the Dell Inspiron 1150, which is $711 . This computer still doesn't have a lot of the basics you would need to have a reasonable computing experience, such as an onboard video card or a wireless card, but it does have a combo drive similar to the Mac's, so at least you could burn CDs. However, its biggest flaw is that it weighs in at a gargantuan 7.49 pounds, compared to 4.9 for the 12-inch iBook.

You can get the iBook for an additional $188. It's your money, it's your decision.

Edit: Oops, I thought this was an honest question. As edesignuk has shown us, it's just a troll. Nevermind.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Well of course almost everyone on the forum is going to say mac, i think you could have saved that question j/k :p
    It depends on what you are gonna do with it.

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If you go with the PC laptop...

You really don't want to go low-end. Before I owned this Powerbook, I had a Dell Inspiron 3800 (if you want some fun, do a google search for "inspiron 3800 keyboard" or "inspiron 3800 class action"). This was in mid-2000. At that time Dell was rated highly for great service - but still, if you have to repeatedly use the service it's not a good thing. Also, Dell's service got significantly worse between 2000 and 2004. My last attempt at service, I gave up after about five phone calls because I just wasn't getting anywhere with their overseas call center. Unfortunately most other low-end laptop vendors were considered to have crappy service already, so Dell is just moving toward the mean.

Spend the money and buy a good IBM or Sony laptop. But then if money is your main consideration, save money and buy the Apple laptop. :D

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Second the, if you want to really look at a PC laptop, look Sony or IBM.... The T40 and the V505 (?) look pretty nice.

What do you want to do with the computer? Is your goal to save money as much as possible, do you want a stylistic statement, do you want a computer that'll make it fun to be geeked about your computer? Macs are great for the latter two and not so good for the first one, although some people say the actual TCO is much better than it seems on the surface.

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

If you ask "PC or Mac?" in a Mac forum, we're going to biased, even if we try not to be. I suggest you go and have a look at your friend's 12" PB and see for yourself if you like it.

As for iBook or PB - it depends on what you're using it for. The 15 and 17" PBs are the real beasts, but they come at a price and are too expensive for many. The 12" PB is what I have and this is a really sweet machine - compact but still powerful and with most of its bigger brothers' pro features, like DVI monitor spanning. The iBooks cannot be ignored for their price however, and are not far off the power of PBs (ignore the 14" though), if you don't mind having VGA video out that can only officially be mirrored on an external display, etc.

11. fearthefinux macrumors newbie

ever since I've got my ibook i've been more productive than ever..
    i have never worked so much with my Windows so i'm not going back...

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Looks like you already made your decision :rolleyes: But why do you always post contradicting threads? First you say Apple is a rip off, now you're asking whether or not you should get an iBook or Powerbook when you just said Apple is a rip off. So why do you want to buy from a company that you think is a rip off? :confused:

13. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

i was in the same position. I have a thinkpad that i adore, and was in the market for a new laptop. obvioudly, my first thought was a new thinkpad. I kept that idea for a while, until I got fed up with windows. So, I surfed around the apple os x site, checked out a pb at the apple store, and i was sold. The thinkpad would have cost more than the equivilant PB. now, im set on a 15" powerbook which i should be buying in jan. so go to the apple store, ask some questions, check it out. i promise, unless you are a dihard mac hater, you will be sold.

14. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yup, hit my 500 dollar celeron laptop on the head, except 1.5hours is generous, only achievable with brightness at lowest, speakers and wifi off, doing something like sitting there because i forgot to sleep it:p go for the mac, a slightly (or not at all) higher initial cost, but no viruses, will probably last longer and has higher resale value. i wish i had...

15. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Get a Windoze laptop; you deserve it.

I guess you eat SPAM, instead of ham, because SPAM is good enough and cheeper than ham.

Start a negative thread and never post again: TROLL! (Sorry, feeling a bit randy tonight.)

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Another vote for a WinCrap PC Laptop, if it will get you to stop posting these threads.

17. atif.muhammad thread starter macrumors member

mostly, i would be used for work but also for some games.

18. Dalriada macrumors 6502

I think he's just suffering from switch-o-phobia... classic at this time of the year. It is fortunately curable and am sure he will see the light in the end and make the jump. ;) ;)

19. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

and what WORK do you hope to achieve???

i sugges you buy this

its about the price range you said.... (oh and btw your maths is RUBBISH... you dont get three £425 laptops for 750 quid..)

i mean, its a really nice looking laptop if you zoom into it, its only 3 inches thin (s******) and its got 128mb ram with intergrated graphics, but i think the best part about it is that it has a via 1ghz processor, i mean not being intel/amd is going to make it really reliable (s******) and you also get a 24speed cd rom, so you can play cds in there, (i think its a free upgrade for an 8track)
    you get a huge 20gb hardrive with no option to make it big enough hold the operating system and some data (s******)
    you even get 4 usb1 ports so you can plug nothing worth while in, it souds really good to me....(s******)

of course, i doubt this thing will last very long at all being a hunk of junk... you even get half price internet security, so you only get ripped off 25quid instead of 50.

how much "work" do you think your going to accomplish on that?

now lets add some software to that shall we?

no...lets not...i cant be arsed

20. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i thought you had already decided that you wanted an ibook?

21. Pixeled_Apple macrumors member

yea... certainly tru... i had enough of convinicin' pepz that mac is better, because some people don't even care. (Like my friend, who discrimates mac :mad: ) . I'd say also check out a mac 4 yourself, its rich in features, UNIX stability (the big list goes on... )

wen u buy a pb or ibook; u come with lots of extras, which is really good value, espically 4 a iBook; so if u feel like spendin' get a pb (15"; 12")

22. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

is this thread a joke? pc or mac laptop on a mac web site hmmmm ooooook of course we are going to say MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU FREAKIN RETARD!! haha

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

24. atif.muhammad thread starter macrumors member

well i did want an iBook but the only reason i want it is because if it falls down, it will bounce rather than dent which the PB will.
    however, the PB is a much more powerful laptop and for 300 quid extra only.
    so im still in dilemma.
    i thought until last week that i wanted an ibook but im feeling a bit unsure now because apple might release a new bunch of PBs soon. i know a new bunch of iBooks been released but when the new PBs come out, they will obviously be the better notebooks.