PC Problem: Switching from Extended Desktop to Mirrored Displays

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ejb190, Feb 1, 2007.

1. ejb190 macrumors 65816

Here is the deal. My co-workers and I each have identical Dell Latitude D810 notebooks and we are having the same problem with all of them. We use them for presentations (LCD projectors, PowerPoint - nothing fancy). They are set to Expanded desktop and I can't get them switched back to mirroring. I have tried everything I can think of, but nothing works. Fn-F8 switches between Notebook, the projector, and both, but always switches to Extended Display.

I have noticed that the ATI tabs in Display->Setting->Advanced do not appear (on any of the notebooks), which is where I would expect to make this adjustment. I have found nothing on Microsoft's, Dell's (what a terrible experience), or ATI's (Now AMD) web pages.

I even tried driver upgrades but got "latest version installed" or "not compatible".

Anyone have any suggestions? The more I use my Dell for work, the more I love my Mac!
  2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Apr 27, 2006
    Grrrrr. I had the same problem with my Toshiba M30.

I don't know how to solve your problem, I just wanted to let you know I feel your pain. :eek:
  3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Right click desktop ---> Properties ---> Advanced.

Select the projector from the drop-down menu (it should be number 2). Then uncheck "extend my Windows desktop onto this display".
  4. ejb190 thread starter macrumors 65816

Does not work. All that does is turn the display off totally. I was going to play around with trying to upgrade the ATI drivers later today, but I'm not really thrilled about the prospects of messing up a machine that otherwise is working perfectly.