PC problem...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by glosterseagul, Apr 4, 2005.

1. glosterseagul macrumors regular

I may have lost my partners email.

When she clicked the outlook button it said "The file c:\ documents and settings\sally\desktop outlook pst could not be found.

I sort of followed the yes and no and it asked if I wanted to copy stuff I said as I wanted to cancel. But instead I ghave a new window with new emails but no old ones!

How do I get all her old emails? is there a data file or may I have overwritten it?

2. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

All the sent and recieved emails are no longer listed. Also all her contacts are missing. Can I import them from somewhere....?

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Mac Forums > Mac Discussion > General Apple and Tech Discussion
    PC problem...

One of these things is not like the other..

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes.. her backups?

5. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I know, Yellow... I just know there are pc expert mac users on here also; but thanks for pointing it out!

I'm just a little desparate at the moment...and I just hoped somebody on here could help... :(

6. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

"look for a pst file" when I find that then what ... I wont add anymore to this thread so it can fade and die! (like me if I don't recover her addresses and emails!) :eek:

7. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

That is you best hope. Unless it was disable by defeult Outlooks makes a back up of of everything every so off. I dont remeber off the top of my head where the back up are but after you find them just import the file into out look and everythign should be recovered.

That was how I recoved all my emails after I refomated my computer. I made sure to make a backup then took the back up file and saved it on another hard drive before the reformated. Reformated reinstalled office then just imported in the lastest back up and I had everything back exactly what it was before the reformated. (my 9 month old back up file was 500 megs but I have a lot of big files in it)

8. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

9. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

That's the wrong path to the PST file. It shouldn't be located on the desktop. Do this:

1. Open up My Computer on the desktop. (If My Computer isn't there (XP doesn’t have it displayed my default.) Click Windows Key and E.)

2. Click on Tools -> Folder Options -> VIEW tab.

3. In the list click on Show Hidden Files and Folders.

4. In the list uncheckmark Hide Protected OS Files (Click yes for the prompt asking if you REALLY want to do this.

5. Browse to “c:\ documents and settings\sally”

6. Hit F3 or click the search button on the toolbar up top.

7. In the “search for files or folders named:” box type out the following:_______ *.pst

8. Click on the advanced options box below and make sure search subfolers is checkmarked (It should be.)

9. Click SEARCH NOW.

10. Look for a file called outlook.pst. The results window should show you relivant info like size, last accessed and path. If it doesn’t change the view up top on your toolbar to details.

11. Locate the largest and most reciently access PST. Note its path. (By default its in C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

12. Open outlook. It should be prompting for the PST file. Browse to that location and select the file.

12a. If the file isn’t there check your recycle bin and see if its listed there.

13. If its not listed there and its not on your system that either you have a virus that is doing bad things or something is being an *** and intentionally deleting files because a PST file doesn’t just go away. Get corrupted sure. But it doesn’t just disappear.

14. Reverse steps 4-2.

10. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Great help thanks.

However as I couldn't find a file earlier it now has a new one ie current emails with no addresses or old emails.

How do I get express to ask for the old pst file?

It's times like this that I am so gratefull I have my Mac!!

Thanks again!!

11. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Phew!! All sorted!!!!!!

Thanks again for your help! :)

12. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Thats what you get for cheating on your Mac with a PC.