PC problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by britboy, Mar 3, 2003.

1. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I'm trying to get a windows pc working again after a few months of disuse, and have encountered a problem. Every time i switch the power on, the buzzer on the motherboard sounds intermittently, and the computer won't start-up. I've tried unplugging all non-necessary PCI cards, changing the ram to a different slot and reconnecting the jumpers, but no joy. Anyone got any ideas as to what it might be?

It's a Gygabite GA-BX2000 motherboard.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I would suggest going to the Gigabyte website and downloading the manual for your motherboard. I think the beeping is a diagnostic code that the manual will list and tell you what the problem is.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

My first suggestion would be to hit the Gigabite homepage and see if any help is in their support/help/faq section (see if they have the beep codes listed). My second would be to remove everything from the mobo (RAM, proc, everything) and see if it POSTs. If the computer POST's and doesn't beep then start adding components back to the mobo one and at time.

Lethal

4. britboy thread starter macrumors 68030

britboy

Thanks for the advice. It was fine up until i added the cpu. My problem now though is whether it's the daughter-card of the celeron that needs replacing. Any way of being sure on that one?

alex_ant: if only it was as simple as that. I'd downloaded the manual pdf's and read through them last night, and found nothing of use to me. Ah well, it was informative at least.

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Have you checked the jumper settings on the motherboard, if you added a new CPU the jumpers generally need changing.

6. britboy thread starter macrumors 68030

britboy

I've checked the jumper settings against what was in the manual on the gigabyte web site, and they're as they should be. I haven't added a new cpu. I might have to though, if that's what's causing the problem.

7. cubist macrumors 68020

As you turn on the computer, watch what happens.
    1. The three LEDs on the keyboard flash on and off.
    2. A cursor should appear in the upper-left corner of the video.
    3. The floppy and cd-rom drives should recalibrate.

If you can get to step 3, you should get messages on the screen. My guess is you either knocked your RAM or cables loose, or the video card has come partly out of its slot.

8. britboy thread starter macrumors 68030

britboy

It doesn't get as far as step 1. I've checked for any loose connections, the video card isn't even in there at the moment, and the RAM's fine.

No worry though, i'll get a celeron cpu to replace the current one (they're dirt cheap). If that doesn't fix the problem, i'll think again....

Thanks for the suggestions.