PC purchase for Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by noelmac75, Sep 19, 2003.

1. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Iam thinking of purchasing a PC for games, i already own an iMac 17" LCD, but I'am tired of waiting for the Mac games to come out, i dont want to kid myself anymore, iam a gamer and thats just it, I love my imac dont get me wrong, i use macs everyday for graphics and dtp, and I love my imac for the ease of use and simplicity, but when it comes down to it, macs just arent for games, fullstop. Like for eg, waiting for half life 2 to come out, just face it we'll never gonna see it come out for the mac, along with all the other great titles jedi knight 3 etc.. I can get a great pc with 128mb vid card, 80gig drive, dvdr, 17" monitor, for about £799.00, so i think its maybe worth the buy, so what do u think, i would love some advice on what to do.

2. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Of course not all game are ported to the mac but more and more are and a lot are release for pc and mac at about the same time. The games that are not ported are generaly DX intensive and are availlable for the XBox,so my guess would be for you to get an XBox. It will save you money and will allow you to play more games in the end. Also, XBox will allow you to play games over the net and with friends when they come to visit you which is the best part of gaming (if you have play Mario Party bash you know of what I am talking about).

The choice is yours but I dont think that investing in a pc is a good investment, you will need more room for it on your desk, more cable, etc...

3. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

If you're a gamer, go with a PC. There's just no way around it--if you want the latest and greatest games, go with a PC. You can build an adequate gaming PC with less than $1,000 that will give you enough power to run the latest games.

There are indeed more and more games being released for the Mac, but there's also the hardware issue. You can buy a $2,000 Mac and whatever games you play will run slower than on a $2,000 PC.

Some people will resurrect the old "Get a console for games--computers are for work!" argument. Don't listen to them: Use a computer for whatever you want. Just as we use our computers as a home movie theater, music jukebox, etc., why shouldn't we use our computers as a gaming machine? Some games that you run on PCs just are not available or do not run as well on a console.

4. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Almost all the really cool PC games are coming to XBox. I would get that.

But if you get a PC, the best bet is to build your own. It is very easy! There are lots of how to guides online.

I would recommed:
    - AMD Athlon 2500+ (Barton core, more cache)
    - An NVidia NForce 2 based motheboard with SoundStorm Audio (Asus and MSI are great brands).
    - An NVidia GeForce 4 4200 ti 128mb - MSI has a nice one that came with Ghost Recon and Morrowind for $169CDN. or if you can afford a few extra bucks, an ATI 9600Pro (Sapphire is cheaper than ATI, justs as good and they bundle a game). For Half Life 2 the 9600 is a minimum requirement.
    - Pick a nice case with a good 350WATT powersupply. Antec is highly recommended.
    - Ram: PC3200 from a reputable dealer. I have had great luck with Samsung. The fancy stuff costs more and comes with heat spreaders - I would not bother.
    - HD: Western Digital Cavier SE with 8mb cache, 80gb is pretty cheap.
    - Get the OEM WinXP Home edition with the parts.
    - pick an optical drive - LG 4040b multiformat DVD burner is good.
    - pick kb and mouse

I usually go with Intel, but also spend more than 800 pounds.

5. BenWakin macrumors member

I would recommend most of what lewdvig said. As for the video card, I'm going with the ATI 9600 PRO. It's so far blasted the GeForces FX cards overall out of the water based on the Half-Life 2 research. Dual processors would be awesome, but of course money is of the issue, no? 512 ram minimum for gaming, 80 Gb HD is decent and if you want to bump down the cost a little, the DVD burner could be optional. Go with a 19" monitor, it's only about a $50 difference depending where you look.That's about it. Keyboard and mouse are easy enough, whatever's comfortable.

6. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Yeah, anything that uses Pixel Shader 2.0 - like Half Life 2 or Halo - is going to run a lot better on a 9600 Pro or better.

Consider the GF4 4200 the absolute minimum.

If you do go with ATI, I recommend buying a card from one of their partners. Look for one with decent RAM and a nice bundle.

Speaking of bundles, after you are done building your own PC you can become rich by selling the 10 million copies of WinDVD or Cyberlink's DVD player that will come with the parts you buy.

:D

7. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

Umm ATI is the top dog right now but I just built a PC for school and games an I read up on graphics card --- just a warning, I have heard people talk about having problems with ATI cards when used in mobos with the geforce chipset (I got the ASUS deleux) anyways I got a 256bit 256meg Geforce 5200 for $125 and I am VERY happy with it :D

8. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Dude I just bought a 5200 for backup purposes. It cost me $69 CDN and was 128 meg. I think you overpaid.

Nvnews just had a look at the 5200 Ultra and rated it as OK. Its not even close to the 9600P and a 4200 will beat it easily in every benchmark.

The FX series is soemthing you should stay away from. Don't take my word for it, any PC review site will tell you that.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

do it, you wont regret it. if you are a gamer then the mac isnt for you. yeah yeah ill get slammed for this but its true. we get some good games but not near all of them. plus you dont have to wait for them and check aspyrs update page every day. you such have so much more variety and plus pc's are so cheap to build now. go for it.

iJon

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hmmmm....I wouldn't get a GF4, it's getting on a bit now, and it's nVidia, ATi rule the nest @ the moment. Also, if you can, get XP Pro, not Home ;)

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Build this machine... googlegear.com has the best prices.

P4 2.8GHz (800MHz FSB)
    Gigabyte Mobo with network card and Serial ATA or ATA-133
    Radeon 9700 or 9800
    512MB DDR RAM
    80GB hardrive with 8MB Cache
    Nice case with 400w power supply

I built one pretty similar to the one above for about 750 US dollars.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That'd be a nice system, but I'd go with an Asus P4C800 or Abit IC7-G for the board, they r much better than the Gigabyte.
    You can also soft-mod the 9700 to a 9800 pretty easily, google for more info.

13. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Actually some Gigabytes have 6 power regulators which is a big deal if you overclock.

Why spend more for a 2.8 when a 2.4c will hit the same max OC as any 2.8? I run mine at 3.36GHz.

I would still get the Barton. You can build a COMPLETE SYSTEM around one for a lot less. The best video card short of the 9600 and 9800 is the GF4 4200 - it is still very viable. A good 4200 is half the price of a 9600 and short of anti aliasing and anisotrpic filtering is almost as fast.

With a 4200, Half Life 2 will detect a DX8.1 card and select the appropriate code path. Based on the numbers floating around it will do a solid 30fps at 10*7 where the FX 5600 stuggles with 20 and the 5200 struggles with 10.

$750 for that P4 system is unlikely. At best you could get a barbones system sans OS.

9800 $250
    P4 $225
    Ram $100
    mobo $100
    case $75

no OS, kb, mouse, crappy audio, no optical, no HD, taxes...

14. alphaone macrumors 6502

I too am saving up for a sub $800 PC (which will take a while though since I'm a poor high school student and I only have $150 saved up right now :( ). I'm really stuck on whether to go Athlon or P4 right now. P4: more expensive, but faster bus. Athlon: Cheaper, better for games, slow bus speed. Hmmmm... Methinks Athlon would be the right choice.

I already have a nice 17" LCD monitor. (NEC 1760v, w/16ms response time :) )

Do Soundsticks work on a PC with xp home?

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

no they dont work with windows, get the creature speakers instead. they are cheaper, made by the same company and personally i cant tell much of a difference.

iJon

16. alphaone macrumors 6502

Thanks. You just made up my mind to sell these soundsticks for the creatures. I was getting fed up with the USB audio issues anyway.

17. lewdvig macrumors 65816

18. alphaone macrumors 6502

I'll be selling them on ebay probably. And I probably won't get the creatures, I'll get the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia speakers :D.

Btw, I configed a athlon PC on Newegg.com last night for just a little over $700 last night including shipping and tax :).

Antec case
    Athlon 2500+ barton core
    Radeon 9600 pro 128MB
    Asus mobo
    no hard drive (I'll use one that I have)
    768MB of DDR 400 ram
    Win XP Home

Nice eh? Just wish I had the money for it now...:(

19. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Screw the Klipsch, Get the Logitech Z560's. Theyre much cheaper.

20. lewdvig macrumors 65816

VERY nice. Its amazing how much PC a few bucks can buy these days. I did my original P4 for about $1000 CDN 18 months ago and just upgraded to the 'C' version (new cpu, mobo, ram and videocard).

The coolest thing about 'rolling your own' is that when you want to upgrade you can keep most of the system and just do a brain, mobo, ram, gpu transplant.

21. alphaone macrumors 6502

What about the Monsoon audio PM-14's? I've heard that they're better than the soundsticks and have good base. I don't need room filling sound, just good sound at my desk in front of my monitor.

Yeah, I had already decided against the Klipsch anyway. After reading reviews I found that their sound was unbalanced.

Oh yeah, I re configed my PC today:

Antec case still
    Athlon 2500+ barton still
    Asus A7N8X mobo
    no graphics card at first (so I can get it sooner and just use the nforce 2 to tide me over)
    no hard drive (use one that I have)
    el cheapo dvd drive
    768MB DDR400 RAM
    Win XP home

All for under $550