PC Sales Reps' Opinions on Macs

Discussion in 'Community' started by l1quid, Nov 24, 2003.

1. l1quid macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2003
    New York
    An idea struck me, to haggle PC Sales Reps about their opinions on Macs, and it turned out to be pretty fun.

I have created a page with all of the conversations, and will be adding more as I hold them.

Let me know what you think :eek:

2. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    a bit cynical. but interesting. i'm interested in reading more conversations.
  3. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    maybe you should put your free time into a job. voodoo makes an excellent pc, and unless you are comparing all their computers to a g5, that voodoo is going to be faster than most macs on a speed factor.

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    eh... it's a cleaver idea; however, myself being a PC sales person, and using a mac, I would find myself in a very difficult situation if you did that with me. I work off commission, and only commission, and if some guy came into my store giving me that same exact conversation, i'd be a little upset. I think the guy was very nice, and very patient for what you put him through, especially you knowing full well that you weren't going to buy a computer. It's not fair for you to take sales reps valuable time for silly for you to think that just because this guy sells a computer that is not what you like, that he's a bad guy. No, he's not a bad guy, he's just trying to sell his product and make a living. When you get older and you know what it's like to have you time wasted you'd understand.

Sorry to seem rude to you, and i dunno if i'm gonna get flamed for this, but I think what you're doing is wrong, and very inappropriate.
  5. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i agree, im a salesman too and that would just piss me off. but if was that salesman i could tell right off the bat that he was a mac biased just looking to annoy pc users.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    you can't possibly think apple's benchmarks aren't biased....

90% of the 3rd party benchmarks show apple being ahead in some areas and PCs being ahead in others. But according to the apple benchmarks, the g5 > everything else.

That just isnt true.

I know for a fact that a PC can get much highter frame rates than these...

7. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    Isnt it true like the eye can only see like 300 frames per second? and anything over that is overkill since your eye and brain don't actually notice it? I thought i read this somewhere...
  8. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    thats not what i was getting at, i know the g5 is faster in most factors, but all he was doing was talking to a voodoo rep and ranting on about how the mac is better, showing no interest in a pc, just annoying and immature if you ask me, but really not that big of a deal. it would be like me driving my acura down to nissan and acting interested in a maxima, but instead just bashing the maxima and asking him to prove why its better than a tl or something.

9. Apple //e macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2003
    macs suck

so where does the salesman say :

"I know of Macs, they are good, but they suck."

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

No offense, but I don't think you are going to get a pat on the back for being a dick and wasting the salesman's time.

How many FPS it takes to create the illusion of motion depends on what medium we are talking about. Video games, TV, and film are all different. And how many FPS it takes to create the illusion of motion is different than how sensitive the eye is to things in the real world. What I mean by this is that it only takes film 15fps to create the illusion of motion (albiet jerky motion), but you can see the shutter open/close on a camera even though it is only open for 1/1000 of a second.

How many FPS it takes to create the illusion of motion and how many FPS they eye & brain can dectect are two different things. Of course trying to rate the sensitivity of the eye in FPS is difficult, maybe even impossible, sense the eye receives constant input and doesn't cycle on/off or open/close.

11. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    think its 28-30
  12. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    A TV uses 25 frames per second. Decide for yourself :)
  13. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    in basic animation terms....

Persistence of vision is 8 FPS.

I think we need to know what fraction of eight frames per second a game is actually registering other game happening.

You could then find out for instance, that your on screen persona was fragged to death somewhere between frame 6 and 7 of the second where you were last smiling.

This would tell you how much of an advantage the other machine had over your own machine. It would not tell you how good a player was at fraction of frame reactions.

Its more of a technology race than a game.

P.S. the other topic is ping.
  14. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i don't agree that he's being a pain by wasting the salesman's time. well, yeah he is, but i don't feel bad about it. if you work off commission you're going to want to sell your item to earn money, but what if the item is, for want of a better word, crap. how do you think the buyer feels when they find this out....
  15. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    the rate at which the eye can detect motion is based on how long it takes for the pigment containing molecules on your retina to be restored to their normal state after they are "bleached" from light, causing them to signal the optic nerve to send an impulse to your brain. I dont remember the exact number but i believe that around 60 times per second is the fastest this can happen, and that is only because the cells at the center or the retina have the highest concentration of photoreceptive chemicals, and can continue to send information after some of them have been bleached
  16. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    but it's NOT crap. it's a very valid and solid product with a market to cater to.

i love my VW. i hate american cars, particularly ford. ford makes crappy cars as far as i'm concerned - but i'd never say 'ford is crap' as if it's a known fact.
  17. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    exactally... voodoo is not crap at all, if i were to buy a PC, and i had the money, i would buy from them... that is if the company i work for would give me more discount ;)... any way... i like your analogy jxyama, even though ford cars are crap, if you were to say ford is crap, then you'd be pissing on Lamborguini (no idea how to spell it), mazda, lincoln, mercury, aston martin, and more...

PC's in my opinion aren't the greatest... however; there are good ones, and the ones that are good... do a great job. This is what I tell my customers: "there's only 4 companies I would buy from... Apple, Dell, Gateway, or IBM." Notice I didn't say anything about Voodoo or Falcon, or any gaming, cause most of my customers don't know about them.
  18. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    i wouldn't personally buy from gateway... :D

if i had to buy a PC, i'd get a dell if i needed a cheap one, an IBM if i really needed something solid.
  19. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    Its not the hardware...

I love PC hardware... its a commodity. Easily found and cheap. I would love for OSX to be on PPC hardware but I understand the logic and deal with it. For me its the software. Since I got my iMac, I hate using my PC at work more and more. Is it because of the hardware? No, the software is what I interface with. The hardware simply makes it possible to use the software. In my opinion, the software does a lousy job of utilizing the hardware. That being said, I would buy a Voodoo Centrino laptoo for gaming in a heartbeat... if it rand OSX:p and I hadn't already dedicated by next $1500 for an iBook.
  20. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Well, the sales rep makes a good statement about how Apple isn't helping resellers much lately, and forcing some pretty strict guidelines, but what's that about non-conformist idea!? Microsoft's middle name is conform! Conform, or be smashed under our enormous corporate bulk.
  21. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    As far as software goes, Microsoft wants you to be running their stuff, sure. But on the hardware side they don't care what you hack together and sell, which is why mom-and-pop computer stores, as well as companies like Alienware and Vodoo, can do pretty much whatever they feel like with hardware. Sell Apple hardware, and you increasingly live by Apple's rules.

Back to topic--

I think it's actually pretty rude to pester the paid representative of a Windows-centric company about Macs. While they're on their company clock, their personal opinion isn't the point, and what's further, matters squat to their company anyway. It's not like they can change anything even if they agreed with you. And the posted conversation doesn't come across as anything but an attempt to force the poor rep into a corner and try to get him to say that you're right. That's plain childish.

It would be more instructive to ask the sales reps at a store that sells both Macs and PCs to see what their opinions of the Mac are. In that environment their opinion is actually professionally relevant, and may have some impact on Mac sales. Not so with a strictly PC-only company.
  22. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    yes can see motion at 12, you can not notice 30, and anything above 60 you can't tell
  23. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2003
    Historic Norcross
    off topic. . .

Ford cars ARE crap.

Lamborghini is a unit of Audi AG / Volkswagen group. So are Bentley and Bugatti.

FWIW, Jaguar is a member of Ford's "Premier Automotive Group;" Lincoln is not, nor is Mazda or Mercury.

Back on topic:

I do think |1quid did waste the salesman's time, but that it was largely harmless. However, that's what Karma is for. . .
  24. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

I believe you are correct that the PAL format has a refresh of 25fps.

NTSC - what is used in the Americas, is 30fps and a screen redraw of 60fps for the standard interlaced set.

Celluloid film is 24fps
  25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    our eyes do see at 29 -30 frames aprox but anyways when i was eyeing my first imac 333 at Sears the salesman tried to steer me to a lousy Pc, and had no idea why i would want a mac & showed no intrest in the sale, they were out of them! anyways i bought elsewhere.