PC survey

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Oct 13, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

how many here have a pc?

how many don't own a pc, but have used one in school, work, or elsewhere?

how many have never used a pc, ever?

do any of you plan on buying a pc in the future?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, I own and use several peecee's, I'm quite a recent Mac convert and have had PC's for years. I use both platforms all the time.

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

my first inklings with a computer was with QDOS or digital research's OS at the time before the IBM PC era...no screen, just a roll of tan paper with code being burned onto it...very boring, really ;)

the first real computer i used was the apple II+ and apple IIe a few years later

it wasn't until 1995 that i tried a 386/486 piece of crap running windows 3.1 and it turned me off to PCs until i became a PC salesman in 1999...then that turned me around...tons of really cool gear...we sold e-machines, compaq, ibm, and hp with the latter being the most expensive, but the best (at that time)

during that time three years back, i got a new compaq laptop and an ibook and i like them both, favoring the ibook most of the time;)

4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Yup I got PCs. A 200 MHz NEC desktop and a 550 MHz HP laptop. Do I plan on buying a PC...maybe.

When I'm filthy rich, I'll drop $5000 and buy this PC laptop:

Xentex Flippad Voyager.

It gots a 20" screen :)
    (it folds up twice for a smaller footprint...it weighs 12 pounds or 5.5 kg)

Attached Files:

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

dual 13" inch screens, baby!!!

that is a monster...i would love to have that thing

i would hire jerome bettis or the rock(scorpion king) to carry it around for me though:p

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i didn't know that thing folded again on itself twice making it have a very small footprint to carry around...wow!

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Damn dude, that thing is crazy (like, literally). It's friggin huge... I'm speechless... and not in the good way.

irmongoose

8. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

right now, I have a gateway essential 500, with a 17" samsung/gateway monitor.

my first experence was with a toshiba notebook, then a midwest micro machine. i was the first person to have cable modem access on my block. it blew the machine up.

hopefuly, i'll have my mac soon enough, but i'm still going to have a pc. maybe i'll get a profile 4;)

i like that laptop. but 12 freakin' pounds? thats not worth dual screens, al least not 13" ones.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I used to own a dell laptop, but I sold it. I have never had more trouble with a computer before. Michael Dell's daughter used to go to my school, I should have told her to tell her dad that he needs better support on his website, and better call in support. I have to use a PC in school every day for computer science. I use macs whenever I can though.

10. vniow macrumors G4

Yah, a PC's all I got.
    I'll prabably keep it when I get a Mac though cuz the Linux world is going to get real interesting in the near future.;)

11. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Fill in the ....

Lets see what the funniest thing we can come up with is. :)

12. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Re: PC survey

i have a cruddy pc
    i dont know many ppl who never used a pc in their life :p
    [​IMG]
    yucky...

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

howso, edvniow? and which linux release do you prefer? my grandfather is an avid redhat user, always downloading the latest versions.

14. vniow macrumors G4

I tried out Mandrake 8.2 and had mixed feelings about it.
    I liked some of the features but getting everything to work required coding skill which is alien language to me.
    I'm glad I did it though, now I keep up on the latest Linux news.
    I'm waiting for it to become a bit more usr friendly before I try it out again.

Does your grandfather have the latest Red Hat? I heard 8.0 is more if a desktop Linux than anything else out there.:)

15. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i have mandrake on a small partition but i never use it anymore...i just couldnt understand it :p lol

16. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

to shove it up stevie's ass

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've just been and checked out Redhat 8.0, it looks great, take a look at this demo.

Edit: Just FYI, RedHat 8.0 can be downloaded here , no good for those on dial-up though, it's 5 x 650Mb (approx) ISO images! :eek:

18. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

I've always been a pc user. I have a p3 800 w/XP Pro for at home and a p4 1.6 w/98 at work.

I took a linux class a while back so at home I stay booted into that as much as possible (redhat 7.3).

As soon as the new powerbooks come out I will be switching and leaving my pc in linux all the time. I will totally phase out my home pc when the power4 is released in a desktop and I pick one up.

-jeff

19. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

No PC but...

I have used a few PCs. I dont think they are really THAT bad.

Infact, I am thinking about buying a gaming PC for gaming, storing files, and...movies. It will be built by me, and run W2K. It will be a Athlon 2600+, probly a radeon 9700, Soundblaster Gamers Card, DDR RAM, gigabyte mobo, wireless kb/mouse. It will cost about 800 without a monitor. So about 1 thousand for a server/nice ass gaming pc/movie machine

20. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: No PC but...

w2k is great for running corporate stuff and especially microsoft office

and w2k is very stable and beats windows 95, 98, 98se, NT 4.0, and ME for overall stability

but w2k is not a "gaming" operating system per se

actually, you are better off with windows xp since it is more multimedia friendly, more than w2k but game support for xp will take some time

under the surface, xp is a new and improved w2k - and w2k is windows NT 5.0 before ms changed the name to w2k...it took time for ms to make the multimedia unfriendly windows NT 4.0 into the multimedia friendly windows xp

windows xp is the product that has the best of both worlds of a good ms office operating system and a good multimedia operating system (including gaming)

-"jefhatfield" on macrumors
    microsoft certified professional

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have assembled, diagnosed, and otherwise taken care of several hundred PCs since the early 1980s. I've had a few at work, none of which worked terribly well. "My" latest is a Dell PIII, 400 MHz with Win2000 Pro, Adobe Acrobat, and ScanSoft OmniPage Pro 11. It breaks daily. Sometimes, it even re-boots when it's in OmniPage Pro. Certainly sounds stable to me. :D

I do like the latest HP machines with Athlon processors and WinXP. They seem to run nicely even though I know they'll break and have trouble. The price is right too. Lots of technology for not much money.

22. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

that's great fodder for a switch commercial:p

23. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

he has 2 computrs he built from scratch, and he keeps his athlon XP 1600+ one with 3 OSes on 3 partitions--1 W2K, 1 stable redhat, and then the latest redhat beta. ever since he got DSL, he downloads every release he can get and puts it on CD. he has Yellow Dog on the off-chance that someone will show up to his linux users' group with a mac. and someone did, too, a few months ago. lol.

anyhow, to respond to this post, i am still lost in the PC world with a decent P3/933MHz/512SDRAM/GeForce3ti200/SB Live! sound card/WinXP pro. i like it with my OS X theme, but i am getting impatient for a new TiBook.

24. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i should add that my computer is pretty much an angel about crashing. i leave it on for more than 2 week stretches, and nothing ever goes wrong, even with all the beta software i have running.

not a good switcher ad candidate!

25. vniow macrumors G4

Yeah, me too.
    People are amazed when I tell them that my PC has only crashed when I installed RealOne.
    I've left it on for weeks without any problems. (gets a bit hot though ;))