PC Switcher needs help...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by kiwi_the_iwik, Sep 24, 2002.

1. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    I'd finally convinced a friend of mine at work to buy an iBook - he'd switched from a PC, but is now finding it hard to get used to the Mac.

(Yes, yes... I know... )

His problem is that he feels uncomfortable using the Dock in OSX, and wants a more "PC" interface. So my question is:

Have any of you seen an application around that gives you a Start bar, and other PC attributes?

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    He could try FruitMenu or Snax(?)... those sit in the menu bar by the clock and you can set them up to act like the Start menu.

Also, he could drag his Applications folder into the Dock and have basically the same thing as the Start menu.
  3. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    I don't know of one. But I wonder....

Is this really the best way for a convert to tackle switching?? Switching to a completely new platform can be a frustrating experience at first. Add on utilities may simply confuse the otherwise straightforward aspects of an OS.

I encourage you to give your friend as much support as he needs. Encourage him to spend a day or so getting comfortable with the new interface, exploring system preferences, application prefs, etc. Give him some tips and "power user" hints. Point him to help pages on the internet (Offer MacRumors as a place to ask questions :)).

Your friend will sooner or later have to accept that he is no longer working in the Windows world. You should focus on making his transition as smooth as possible and leaving no doubt in his mind that this platform can suit his needs.

4. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I once saw an application for OS 9 to simulate the task bar. There's a chance it has been carbonized. If they just would like a start menu, you could make a folder, and put aliases of applications in it, and then drag it into the dock. I think there's an application that does something like this called Yadal.
  5. {1984} macrumors member

Sep 23, 2002
    New York City
    he could try dragging the hard drive to the dock so he could sort through all his folders like the start button
  6. Gaz macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2002
    London, UK
    I "switched" last summer and found the whole experience a little strange. I never really used OS 9 as I was attracted by X and all that it had to offer.

It's strange because I don't think it is immediately obvious how the dock should be used. The bit I found strangest was I was used to the task bar in Windows and the fact programs were sequential in order of when they were started. I found it just took time to get comfortable with it. In fact I prefer it to Windows now.

It was useful to see how other people use theirs was probably the most comforting thing.

Unfortunately nothing is ever easy and practise is the key. Tell them goodluck and I hope they enjoy the experience.
  7. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    Exactly what I was about to say. ;)
  8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    or he can just suck it up and unlearn his pc-world conditioning. it was a little frustrating for me at first, but i learned to stop thinking so hard.
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    People complained about the way OS X operated when it first came out because it was too different compared to OS 9.

But once you get used to it, there's a lot of stuff you can get done just as fast - if not faster.

Going from Windows to OS X just takes some getting used to, everyone who uses OS X will go though some trauma as they get used to it - whether it is a switch from OS 9 or Windows.
  10. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    All of your comments are much appreciated. Being a Mac user since the first Macs, I personally find it hard to accept the Mac interface so hard to tackle.

What he's really after is a task-bar style affair on the bottom of the screen, so you can see different documents open at a glance, and can switch between them with one click.

Don't ask me why - the Dock does this anyway. He just wants his Mac to look more PC-ish...