Pc, to Mac Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Texas04, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Well, bout to update to either a Powerbook or iMac, (suggestions on that would be good 2 :D ) And I will be a casual, that looks good gamer. But if I play online, can I play with a server hosted on a Windows Computer. Such as Halo, (old but best example i can think of) If I play it on my Mac, then will I be able to play with my friend on Windows?

2. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

answer is it depends on the game. If you want to do Unreal 2oo4 then yes. Another is WoW then yes. There really is no yes or no answer you have to check the games website before you buy it. :cool:

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

4. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Awsome thanks :D

Any reasons they would not be compatible online?

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah crappy ports. ;) Some times when a game uses GameSpy you will not be able to play PC users, etc.

6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

7. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Im guessing AoE is a Game Spy alternative for Mac, but only for the mac that will only allow you to play with mac users? And if it is... how many people actually play?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

AoE is Age of Empires :)

Just last weekend I tried to play Command & Conquer against some Windows users, and it didn't work. This was on a LAN, so Gamespy shouldn't have been getting in the way :confused:

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Option 1: Crappy Port ;)

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

11. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Well that made me feel just a little newbier... lol
    :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the response though, saved me from future humiliation. :)

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've heard that with Halo, once you buy the game, it is compatible with PC, but right ow I just have the demo and it only works with other Macs. (Can anyone support this?) Also, apparently Unreal Tournament is compatible between operating systems, but since I only have the demo for that (I know I'm cheap), I couldn't connect to my PC friends who have the full version (we were using the same Map, etc.) Can anyone tell me why that wouldn't work?

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, the full versions will connect to the Windows versions. The reasons the demos don't work is because they're a different version (eg. demo 1.4 vs retail 1.5).

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Is that for Halo or unreal?

15. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

the maps in the demo version of U.T. or Halo are the same as in names of the maps but diffrent in how the maps are made. Say like you go into one room in the demo version of ut there is only 2 ways out, But in the full version you go to the same map and into the same room it now has a tunnel where the demo version didn't have a tunnel in U.T.

The demo and full versions wont connect to each other cause the developer and publisher made them that way cause of the diffrent bug's in the two versions and the diffrent build (as in version numbers) of the game the demo doesnt have the same weapons as the fullversion does.

Yea you can download a mod to put the guns in the demo version but it's not the same. In the U.T. demo version dont have the redeemer as the full version does.

Demo will only play with other demo's, And full versions will only play with other full versions in U.T.

16. Doraemon macrumors 6502

No. It's actually a very good port.
    AoE uses Microsoft's DirectPlay for networking, which is unavailable for Mac. Blame it on the original game to be using such a standard instead of good old TCP/IP.

17. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That's never been the case. Is there a Mac version of DirectX? Nope. Therefore any game which uses Microsoft proprietary code can't possibly have a network-compatible Mac version, no matter how fantastic the port is. So reverse-engineer DirectPlay, you say...OK, fine, and get sued by Microsoft. How about Gamespy charging 50 kajillion dollars for a license? How are Mac porters supposed to get around that? Or the case of Command and Conquer Generals, where differences between floating-point operations on x86 vs. PPC made the game go out of sync, so there's no point in trying to have Mac & PC networking. The best porter in the world can't physically make PPC work just like x86....

--Eric

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If they can't make the Mac version talk to the Windows version, then they should release a patch for the Windows version to let it talk to the Mac version. In other words, work in the opposite direction.