PC to Mac Help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nbs2, Apr 7, 2004.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I am switching from my trusty battletank of a Vaio to a sleek PB15. But, to transfer all my files, I'm at a loss. I was wondering if I can use my iPod (will it be ok for plugging into the PB even though it is PC formatted)? Or, do I need to connect directly via firewire? Or do I take to the Apple store and get somebody there to show mw what to do?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

as long as your iPod has enough capacity, you can just plut it into the PB. make sure you turn on the Firewire disk mode so it will mount on the PB.

3. beer macrumors newbie

you could start up the PB as a firewire harddisk.. but you'd need a strange cable which has both a pc fire wire and a mac firewire connector on it...

and you could use the ipod.. but all those cables and switching...

but you also vould use the lan/ ethernet connection... OSX usually works fine in its connection to windows... its not as fast as fire wire... but pretty safe.. most easy way.. I guess.. and it'll give you a chance to watch some TV before you get addicted to your PB....

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i don't think you can do this. OS X machines can mount other OS X machines under firewire target disk mode, but i am not sure if you can boot the PB in that mode and have it mount on a windows PC.

the cable would be just a standard FW cable. you may need a 6 pin to 4 pin converter, which i assume the o.p.'s already got since he uses his iPod with the vaio.

5. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

i do have the converter and also have enough room on the iPod. Although I will be able to figure it out (hopefully), how do I boot the PB in firewire target disk mode? Additionally, to make sure I understand correctly, plugging my windows formatted iPod into the pb is not going to cause any sort of crash?

6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

If you enable the iPod's "firewire disk" option on the Vaio, I'm pretty sure the PowerBook will recognize it as such. That shouldn't hurt anything.

Also if you connect both machines to, say, a home network, you should just be able to share the Windows drive with the Mac and copy files over the network.

Going in to the Apple Store and asking for help is probably not a bad idea if you want to be absolutely sure of your methods, as long as it's not too inconvenient.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

target disk mode requires two macs, as far as i know. basically, if you reboot one Mac (holding down 'T' key) while it's connected to the other via a FW cable, the rebooted Mac will mount on the other as if it's an external HD...

PC formatted iPod can be used on a Mac no problem, including using it with iTunes, syncing, etc. the other way around needs a reformat.

8. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I have been able to attach an ipod used with a PC to my mac with no problems. I think this would be the easiest way.