PC to Mac migration and Itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dont24, Feb 27, 2005.

1. dont24 macrumors regular

I just installed iTunes on my PC and created a new account. Added all my existing mp3s to the library. I also want to import my cds into iTunes. I plan on switching to a G5 PM when Tiger and/or the PM line is updated. Is it just a matter of copying the WinXP My Music folder contents over to my new Mac? I don't want to spend the time importing my cds now, if I'll have to do it again with the Mac.
    thanks in advance.

2. raptorhigh macrumors member

I was able to do just that with my switch, nothing fancy.

3. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If they're networked up you can connect to your XP machine via Control + K or clicking go and clicking connect. After that you can, if the place where the music is is shared, copy it from one place to another. You can do this via USB Cable if you have ... I think its two male ends, but that requires a few more steps and that just gets ugly. If you don't have your machines networked, but you have Ethernet cards in both machines, (well yeah PM G5's come with them) go out and buy a Cross Over Cable to connect your machines together. Other than that, those are my ideas. - If you have Ethernet and have a HUB or Router (router works better) you can do it that way.

4. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. All systems are ( will be networked ). The PC --> Mac copy is not a problem.
    I'll assume all I need to do is copy the music over and add the music into the library on the Mac? What about the music I purchased using iTunes on my PC? Anything special need to be done before or after the migration?

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

You can burn it to a DVD/rip it off your iPod...

In Windows, right click on your music folder and create a .zip file... then burn it to DVD. Send it to your Mac, extract, and your music will be there.

Keep your original file though - sometimes this won't work 100%

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Just authorize it via itunes. When you try to play a song you've downloaded it'll ask you to authorize it.

7. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I've done this a few times, both from PC to mac and Mac to PC. The best way to do it is by using a crossover cable and just grabbing the music folder and transfering it the Mac. In my cause I had about 3700 songs and it took about 35 to 40 minutes for all of them, not to bad.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

If you don't intend to use purchased music on the PC, deauthorise your PC so that you free up one of your 5 computers that it can play on. Do that via the advanced menu in PC iTunes.

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

You don't need a crossover cable to connect two Macs with ethernet. Do you really need it to connect a PC and a Mac?

10. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. Once I get settled with the Mac, I don't plan on going back to the PC.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

No, as long as one of the two is a modern Mac, either a crossover cable or regular ethernet cable should be fine. I use a non-crossover cable to network my Powerbook with my Windows PC all the time (using that arrangement as I type this in fact).