PC to Mac network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silentbob2, Nov 18, 2006.

1. silentbob2 macrumors newbie

I have got a G5 mac pro and I would like to connect it to my PC. I have already got a wirless network setup for my PC with a NETGEAR router. Is it possible for me to connect my mac to my current router or will I have to buy an airport Extreme base station?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes, assuming the PC is running XP, switch the security on the router to WPA, that will make it easier to connect from both the Mac and PC, it is also a lot more secure than WEP.

3. ddekker macrumors regular

network

it can be done using "internet sharing" on the pc and connecting a cat5 cable from the PC to the mac (being as the mac has no wireless I assume) I would think getting a wireless card for the mac might be easier but more costly than the cat5 cable..

DD

4. LeviG macrumors 65816

Yes you can connect the mac into the router via a cable.
    Assuming the pc is connected wirelessly to the router (say for internet) then it should just be an adjust the ip on the mac to match the other devices and do all the sharing bits/firewalls you need to do in both os's.

5. haute@tiscali.c macrumors newbie

Network PC & IMac through Netgear Router

I have exactly this set up using a Netgear DM602 router. Took a bit of patience to get the configuration right but it all works fine. In my case using Netscape Communicator and Outlook Express. If you want any more detail please try me.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Between home and work, I have succeeded in just about every method of connecting Mac's and PC's. I have not tried using a USB Wireless device on a Mac, since all my machines have Airport. Mounting remote volumes is easy, although a very simple thing had me stumped for awhile; how to auto-mount a remote volume on a Mac. Turns out I was making it a lot harder than I needed to. Good luck!