PC to Mac powerpoint/keynote?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PHARAOHk, May 7, 2004.

1. PHARAOHk macrumors regular

My dad is having some reliability problems with his PC laptop. He wants a powerbook to give powerpoint presentations. Would there be any problems transferring powerpoint presentations made on XP to OSX? What about opening other peoples PPP on CDR made in XP on OSX? If you have any feelings about Keynote over PP or vice versa that would really help as I have no experience with either. Thanks a lot.

2. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

As long as you have the mac version of powerpoint it will be 100 % compatible... As far as PPT vs. keynote- I hate to admit it, but IMHO, PPT is much better... Keynote is easier, but let's face it, PPT aint the hardest thing in the world to figure out ... As much as I'd love to love Keynote, PPT is still the better of the two...

3. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

hobbes3113

You might actually have problems if you set up animated sequences in the presentation. I have had this problem importing Power Point files from a PC. Everything shows up, but the animation is lost...

4. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I have no real experience with Keynote, yet. But I can say by experience that a PPT presentation will display fine, a simple one at least, on a file from XP to a Powerbook. Everybody was so concerned at the convention, but everything turned out fine.

5. crackpip macrumors regular

There can be compatibility issues in ppt between mac and pc especially if there are equations involved, although I've seen compatibility issues between two different pc's both running XP. Its one of the reasons I switched to doing my presentations in Flash before there was Keynote. Personally, I don't like powerpoint much. Keynote is much better. Especially because I do all my equations in LaTeX and figures/diagrams in illustrator. The pdf base of Keynote rocks. When I need to use a pc, I usually export the presentation as PDF.

crackpip

6. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

You know what ?... That's right... I haven't experienced any difficulties personally, but I was at a presentation recently & I remember the presenter saying how he built his project on a mac & was doing the actual presentation on a PC so he apologized for the slightly screwy animation... I forgot all about that... I stand humbly corrected...

7. PHARAOHk thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good. I think I will have him get PP for OSX. Things can be hard with microsoft holding the majority of computers but I really think a powerbook would make an excellent computer for presentations.