Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Boise, ID
Ok, I got my Powerbook about 2 months ago now and totally love it. In fact, my wife has decided that she is ready to get rid of her PC (its called downsizing! ;) ).

However, here is the problem I'm running into. She has all of her emails in MS Outlook Express. I need to get all of those emails from her PC version of Outlook Express to Entourage on my Powerbook. I've searched through documentation in the Entourage help and the Microsoft website but I can't find a way to do it.

Can anyone here help me out?

Thanks!

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Here's an even better solution:

1. get gmail account (look in the community section for available invites-gmail pay it forward thread)
2. forward emails to gmail account
3. There is no step three.

Another method would be to forward them to a different account and download onto the Powerbook.

Not sure if Outlook has a mailbox export/import feature or not.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Easy Guide on Exporting Outlook Express Emails on PC to Entourage on G5.

kgarner said:
Here's an even better solution:

1. get gmail account (look in the community section for available invites-gmail pay it forward thread)
2. forward emails to gmail account
3. There is no step three.

Another method would be to forward them to a different account and download onto the Powerbook.

Not sure if Outlook has a mailbox export/import feature or not.

Perhaps you'd like to give this gentleman a gmail invite and offer to forward all of his wife's 5 thousand emails individually?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
FuzzyBallz said:
Easy Guide on Exporting Outlook Express Emails on PC to Entourage on G5.

Perhaps you'd like to give this gentleman a gmail invite and offer to forward all of his wife's 5 thousand emails individually?

I didn't say it was a perfect plan. :) Merely a suggestion. And you can batch forward emails (at least with Outlook 2003). Just selct them all and and hit the Forward button. If I had a gmail invite to give I would. I think gmails archive and search ability will make it easier to find the one she wants later.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Here's what I did...

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/9928
Moving Outlook Email Messages on PC to Entourage on Mac

Microsoft has not yet provided an import function that allows bringing email messages into Entourage (.mbox files) from Outlook (.pst files)

Here is a procedure, which works moving message files from Outlook (or Outlook Express) on Windows XP to Entourage on Mac OS 10.2.

On the PC
1) Open Outlook Express and import the mail folders from Outlook: File/Import/Messages. (This converts the messages in the Outlook .pst file into .mbox format. Using the Outlook Express import utility has the advantage of maintaining the date of the email, which would be lost using the export to a file function within Outlook.

2) In Outlook Express, open an email folder, select messages and drag and drop into a Windows Explorer folder. (The messages will be appended with an .eml extension but they are in a Mbox format readable on Mac).

3) Transfer the folder to the Mac (or open the folder on the Mac if the PC and Mac are networked).

On the Mac
4) Open Entourage. In the Mail folder create a temporary folder and drag and drop the Outlook Express .eml files into the folder (do not try to transfer more than 150 files at a time).

5) The messages are now in Entourage, but each is in a separate folder. To put them in the appropriate folder (such as Inbox), you can search for and select all the messages, then drag and drop into the appropriate folder. Here’s how a) click on the temporary folder; b) go to Edit/Advanced Find from the drop down menu; c) Check the “Include subfolders” box and under Criteria select “Does not contain,” then put in any text not in your email subject line (for example: qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq). All messages should be selected and you can drag and drop to the appropriate folder. Delete the temporary folder, which will now be filled with empty folders.

... And if you are like me, and prefer OS X Mail, then you have to do an additional ste where you import from Entourage to Mail. I successfully move over 2000 emails doing this, but it was a pain.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I m oved about 40GB of emails from my PC when i switched.

basically went:
Outlook to Outlook Express
created my Mac account in there and literally just dragged them all in Outlook Express to my .Mac...

then on my Powerbook (in Mail) dragged them from .Mac to Powerbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.