PC to mac... some kind of comparison?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pete_fr, Oct 20, 2003.

1. pete_fr macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2003
    Allright, dont blame me right now ;)

I can imagine there isnt much to compare between a PC (running on micros..biiip) and a Mac, and that's why i'm thinking about changing.

But since i actually really dont know much about Mac's i'd like to have some clues about how to choose a Mac when one only has PC knowledge...
    By this i mean, i've only used PC for a while, i mostly "work" with graphics, and i've been thinking about switching for nearly a year... I'm pretty slow when it come to decision taking!

So how is it possible to find some kind of equivalence between PC's and Mac's specs. I noticed mac's frequencies often are lower than PCs, but i always hear ppl saying that macs are faster.

Do you get my point?

Last question... how does it work concerning monitors? Are there many compatible monitors. The mac ones get pretty expensive when you go big...

I hope you'll be able to help me with this...
    I also hope myenglish wasnt too horrible... i'm not native...

Thanks in advance,

PS: I'm a student... so the other problem is the money...
  2. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    I think your question could take up entire books, or entire websites, to try to answer completely.

Keep something in mind though: it's not so much a matter of raw performance as it is whether or not you're getting your work done, and how much you're enjoying the experience. In other words, it's all in the software.

I'm at a point where I am really liking my new Powerbook (about a month old) but I still find a number of things easier to do in the Windows world. For now, I'll stick to Windows for those things.

Other things are faster in the Windows world, but more fun on the Mac side. I would think, though, that I would be willing to accept a slower computer if it meant a more fun user experience, or better looking end results, or if I'm actually being more productive with my time.

If you're into Windows right now, don't plan on going 100% to Mac cold turkey. Expect that some tasks will work better on Windows than they do on the Mac. Slowly, as you get used to the Mac and the software, you'll either start drifting towards the Mac completely, and ditching Windows, or you'll decide that the Mac isn't worth switching to.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you need.
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Re: PC to mac... some kind of comparison?

Any monitor will work with any modern Mac.
  4. rasha macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2002
    user group?

Maybe a user group or a really good Mac dealer could help you with experiencing the mac. All my PC friends who ever thought about switching to the Mac (and even those that were not) answered there questions with hands on experience. This is the best way to experience the Mac. It truly is a wonderful OS.

Maybe tell us a little more what you use your current machine for and what is the harware and software. Then would could give some Mac equivalents or better.

If you have some more specific questions maybe we all can pitch in and help.

Just like the monitor question. Any monitor whether it is a CRT with VGA connection or an LCD with DVI will work with the Mac. Apples own ADC connection is unique but does not lock you into Apple monitors because the Mac does support other connection options.

BTW, Formac has monitors with native ADC also.
  5. macguymike macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2003
  6. pete_fr thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2003
    Thanks a lot for all these quick replies!

unfortunately, i dont think i can afford a "half switching". My pc is really getting old (i mean really old!) so the mac woulb be a total replacement.

as i said, my PC is really old... i mostly use it for webdesign (amateur) digital media and i might come to some video editing...

I'll try to find some mac enthousiast group near where i am... i'm sure it would be a rgeat help to make a choice.

and finally, i'm not a US resident so i'm not sure Apple Store For Education exists in France ;)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Knowing what you have and the method in which you upgrade will help.

If you have something that you can reuse HW, it'll help keep cost down.

Knowing whether you'd like the option to add/upgrdade dives, monitor, video cards, etc...

or whether you'll use it as-is until you replace it all.

Whether you need a portable or don't mind using a desktop at school etc.
  8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Apple Store for Education (France)

There you go. The french Apple Store for Education. Have fun!
  9. stetsows macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Compare and Contrast Mac/PC

If your working with graphics generally you should see speed increase especially with apps like Photoshop. Generally Adobe and others of it's ilk (Macromedia, etc) do a good job of optimizing their products for the various platforms.

You should see a massive improvement with stability with the Mac with OS X. It's based on Unix and is one of the most reliable environments I've ever worked with. It also allows you access to all the unix apps, apache, pico, vi, etc.

As for monitors nothing says you have to use an Apple monitor. Most monitors with VGA, DVI, or ADC connectors should work either natively or with an adapter.

The good news about being a student is should get a better price as well as access to more affordable configurations as well as lower prices in the US this can be as much 200 dollars. I couldn't tell you how it translates into euros. But at any rate Apple has long offered excellent discounts to students and educational facillities this should help significantly.
  10. pete_fr thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2003
    Thanks again.

i'll look it up more carefully. I think i'll also look into refurb or second hand items...