PC to Mac Transfer (Office files, emails and Photographs)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anti-microsoft, Apr 3, 2007.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Any you guys know whats the best way to transfer mainly office documents, emails and photos from an old SONY PCG-V505AP notebook to a new MacBook Pro.
    Would a USB link between the two computers work?
    I'm trying to aviod the External HD solution.

2. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Yep, USB link would work, although it would be probably be better to use a USB flash stick. They're very cheap now.

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

You could also use an ethernet cable, which is a little more tricky if you don't know how to do it. It's a cool thing to know if you're up for it: Networking Windows with OSX

Cheers :)

4. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

what? gigabite per gigabite? whoa! I would take way to long! but thanks anyway!

5. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Hehe. Well you never told us just how much stuff you were moving. Documents emails and photos tend not to take up too much space. If you've got lots of stuff to move, you're going to have to use the ethernet method that I suggested to you, or the external HD method that you wanted to avoid. There's no way that I know of to connect a pc and a mac using a usb cable. A flash stick will work, but like you said, it's time consuming. Aside from burning some DVD's, those are your only options.

6. silbeej macrumors 6502a

get a crossover ethernet cable
    go into system prefs under sharing and turn on windows sharing
    once it is on and the cable is connected it should tell you the address that you can connect to the mac from the pc, and it is then just drag and drop. I used a cat6 cable for my pc has gigabit etherent, and it was fast. 30gb in about 10 minutes
    OSX makes everything sooooooooo easy.

7. Angrist macrumors 6502

You don't need a crossover cable, the MBP (and all macs for a while now) have autodetecting ports so they'll configure correctly. Any ethernet cable will work fine.

8. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000