PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nitynate, Jun 9, 2006.

1. nitynate macrumors 6502a

I have a friend whom needs a new computer and is asking me for advice on buying a notebook, of couse since i know he isnt big on media I am suggesting the minimal stock MacBook.
    The thing is, he is blinded by the incredible specs of PC laptops that cost much less... How can I convince him to go with the MacBook?

P.S. He is coming over tomorow to play with my iMac and see how he likes OS X. How can I woah him?

2. wako macrumors 65816

when i switched, i was wowed by expose.... instead of alt-tabbing you can simply pick and choose which window to choose from.

tell him how you dont have to turn off the computer like PCs or restart as often as PCs.

Since he is intersted in PC laptops, you should tell him how much better the battery life of the macbook is. Most other PC laptop battery life is only an hour.

3. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Spreading FUD is not a way to get converts.

4. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

QFT

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Showing off the powers of Exposé can be pretty impressive. :)

I think that spotlight is pretty cool too.

6. imacintel macrumors 68000

I cant believe no one thought of this. Viruses. Teach him how many viruses Windows machines get. Also, tell him how there is NO viruses for OSX. Also, tell him how easy it is to switch. It is really easy.Bold, underline, italic. Mustr be iportant =P

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Show him that there are few, if any, PCs with incredible specs that cost much less.
    Did I miss some massive drop in the price of Core Duo laptops?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You really can't convert anyone by trauma with a bunt force instrument, but I agree with plinden that there aren't that many Core Duo based PC motebooks of similar size that cost much less than a MacBook.

It really all depends on what your friend wants to do with the box, if it's just your garden variety web/e-mail/chat/office/pictures/MP3s box then you might be able to convert him, but if he wants games or needs other Windows apps, the MacBook will also set him back the cost of the XP license to run under Boot Camp, and he won't be happy.

B

9. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

He does no media at all.

So, I should show him expose, spotlight, and oh yes, iSight?

10. wako macrumors 65816

it isnt FUD when most cheap laptops only get an hour of life on their battery

11. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

If you really want to "wow" him, give him a user account on your MacBook (or whatever you have) and let him use it for a few days.

If he's truly media agnostic (no camera? no music?), the power and integration of iLife will bore him to tears. From there, it's just the OS X experience that will draw him in ... and you can't summarize that well enough to do it justice.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You didn't answer what he does want to do with the box. It could just b that a Mac isn't the right box for his needs/desires... (I know that sounds like heresy on MR!)

B

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

On the other hand, I didn't "do" media until I got a digital camera. Now I have close to 5000 digital images and > 10 hours of DV footage ... most of it's crap but without a computer and the software that could handle it I wouldn't have got even this far.

14. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

He does media, just it's the classic boring PC user, you know e-mail, internet, a few pictures every now and again....

15. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Except even your revised statement isn't true.

16. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I don't think there are any cheaper PC laptops with as good specs, as good screen resolution, a built in camera and a remote.

Then there's MagSafe, two finger scrolling and compared to most cheap laptops the size and weight of the MacBook is superior.

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From another thread here:

Take a bunch of pics, put them in a folder. Select all or many of them. Right-click and select 'Slideshow'. In the show, be sure to fit them to the screen.

Then hit 'i' to go to the index, use the arrow keys to select different ones, then hit enter to zoom to that one. Repeat a few times.

Wicked cool.

18. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

No doubt about it:

Fast User Switch.

Of all the things that OSX does, that's the one that people consistently love.

(Oh, and if you don't have two accounts, you should. There's no better time than the present!)

Does e-mail count as "media" now? I guess....

PC: Yeah, well, there are some pretty cool apps that I'm bundled with....
    Mac: Oh, like what?
    PC: ...uh...calculator...clock...

19. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh My God. That's amazing. :D

Yes, and photobooth.
    And fast user switch. Woo.

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Download and install Parallels, and beg borrow or steal a Windows XP install disk. Install Windows (don't bother about activation, you have 30 days and you can remove XP before that). Switch to full screen mode and back (it looks like fast user switching)

21. wako macrumors 65816

and too each their own opinions

22. gco212 macrumors 6502

Under $800 with remote (although no camera). Weight is very comparable (5.1 to 5.3 pounds), and the battery life is around 3 hours on that under normal use.

23. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

What's the screen resolution on those? Do they have bluetooth?

24. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Except "it isnt FUD when most cheap laptops only get an hour of life on their battery" isn't an opinion, it's a statement of fact, and it is an incorrect statement.

25. wako macrumors 65816