PC to MacBook

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DaveP924, Jun 8, 2006.

1. DaveP924 macrumors newbie

WARNING - Stupid question ahead.

Thinking of making the switch to MacBook from PC. Last night my son asked me if the Itunes collection on his Ipod would transfer to the MacBook since they were downloaded on a PC. Good question son. I think I will need to look into that. So here I am. Is it going to be plug and play or is it a pain. Coming from PC's, I alway's assume it's going to be a pain.

Thanks.
    Dave

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

See the Mac Guide [guide]Copying Music from your old PC to new Mac[/guide], basically it's not too bad if you can transfer it all onto an iPod.

PS Seeing as without an iPod it's a 24 step operation, i don't think its a stupid question really.

3. DaveP924 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh No!! It's just as I feared. Thanks for the link. I think I'm going to have to read that a couple of times. Why is it never easy :-(

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Why do people make it complicated? The iTunes library on the PC is organized exactly the same as the iTunes on the Mac. All you have to do is copy the iTunes directory across. This can be done in a number of ways - an external hard drive, via ethernet, copy to one or more DVD, copying the iTunes directory to an iPod configured for file access etc. Whatever you are most comfortable with.

I did the external hard drive option.

Then, when you play the downloaded music on the Mac, you will be asked to authorize the computer.