PC too Remote to Remote?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spario, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Spario macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    hey everyone,

i would like to know if it was possible to remotly manage and control my PC at work with my MAC at home. short of what is done with ssh and x11, though, i'm sure thats no possible with a PC. Anyone know of another way?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    You could try using Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client. It's free. :)

I'd say it'll be a long shot though, considering how hard it can be to connect externally to a most work networks.
  3. Spario thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    Thanks for the quick reply! I was looking around on the web and found this program called Timbuktu which does what i'm looking for. Though, it's really expensive :( does anyone know of a cheaper or free :) program tha does the same. I don't believe i would be able to use Microsoft's RDC. Thanks Again!
  4. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    You can use VNC to connect to your work computer. The work PC would have VNC server software installed and your Mac at home would need VNC client software.

I do this with my dad's PC all the time. Of course, he's on DSL and not behind an industrial firewall.

The guys at work here can remotely take over our PCs and install/troubleshoot for us. I've recently learned that they can even do it from home.

You'll need to know the IP address of your work network and which ports are open. You'll also need to set up port forwarding so that you connect to your work PC. If you're not to up on networking, you're better off getting an IT guy to help. They should know all of the particulars to setting it up.

5. Spario thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    Thanks! We really don't like to talk to our IT man here at work. He's even more bitter then Snow Whites rotten Apple. Maybe i'll catch our swing sift IT when i work overtime someday. Thanks again!
  6. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2003
    I've used VNC, RDC (to remotely control Windows machines only, of course), and Timbuktu. Timbuktu is indeed expensive but it's definitely the Rolls Royce of remote control software protocols. I try to get my clients to buy TB2 but some won't shell out for it, and VNC or RDC are tolerable substitutes.