PC under $1000?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by FelixDerKater, Jul 5, 2004.

1. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    I am looking to buy a PC to go along with my Mac. Can anyone point me toward a good brand? I'm not looking to build one, though. If anyone has any advice or has a link to some info on some system that is recommended, let me know. I'd like to get a monitor included in that price, as I have see some nice looking 17" LCD's for down to $329 locally.

Recommendations of 15" PC laptops at or below $1000 would also be nice.
  2. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2003
    I have a custom one for sale with a 19" CRT monitor and HP printer. Its an athlon XP 1900+ with WinXP Pro. It has an 80GB hard drive, Television card, 512 DDR2700 ram, optical mouse, IBM KB, 40X burner, DVD drive, GeForce4 Ti4600 (awesome) video card (128MB), altec lansing 4.1 speaker system, SOund Blaster Live SOund card, 10/100 ethernet, remote for computer's TV card, radio card. I will sell you this setup for way less than $1000 if you are interested. I have been building computers for years so you can trust this setup works beautifully. Get back to me if you're interested...if anyone else is interested let me know..but i doubt it, since this is MACrumors... :D
  3. nyprospect macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    I have a p4 3ghz
    with sound audigy
    nvidia fx 5200
    80gb samsung 7200 hdd
    plus i have a sony lcd monitor 17" dvi/analog all in great conditionIf interested ill give you the full specs and pics.Im looking to buy amac myself i cant afford both though. im fair with the price.let me know
  4. atszyman macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2003
    The Dallas 'burbs
    You may want to check out the weekly sales at your local BestBuy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc. They typically have PCs including monitors and printers for under $1000. Avoid Celerons if you can. I've actually given up building PCs just because the deals they have are better than I can do and if something gets broken I can take it back to the store.
  5. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    I hate to say it but

www.dell.com may be you best bet for finding a cheap desent PC
  6. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2004
    Los Angeles.
  7. kidA macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2002
    dell is probably the best option if you're not looking to build. i'd actually look at their refurb store if you're into that. i have a dell refurb i bought almost four years ago and it's a really great computer. i've upgraded the RAM and installed XP Pro, and it's still running great and has never given me any problems (i've caused several on my own, but that's another story). the hardware has been really great.
  8. vwguy macrumors member

Apr 6, 2004
    Silicon Valley
    I've one dell pc, one dell centrino laptop and one dell server-transformed-pc running in my home without any problem. They are definitely not the greatest PC but I think its better than HP/Compaq/eMachines that you get at electronics store. Of course, building your own computer will get the most value but it comes with its own problem too.

Whatever it is, do some research first and it will go a long way. Good luck!