pc useing a imac monitor

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by zulgand04, Apr 3, 2004.

1. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

Hey, i was curious about an idea i had it prolly isnt feasable but figured might as well ask. Well heres what i was thinking. I have a old compaq computer, and was woundering if there isa ny way to use my iMac monitor to display the compaq on, so i would't need the huge 17"ctr i have. There prolly is no way to do this but what do you guys think. Thanks for your input.

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I'm pretty sure there's no way. It's a good idea though.

3. zulgand04 thread starter macrumors regular

zulgand04

yeah that what i figured, thanx for the reply. hmm maybe i can develop something like that hmmm naaa lol :cool:

4. evil macrumors 6502

yes i totally wish i could use the compaq that i have sitting around here on my emac screen.

5. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

have you considered using microsoft's remote desktop access for mac os? go to mactopia.com and download it. i'm not sure which win os's will allow rdc to connect to, but if your windows does you can have the windows desktop on your mac. the mac and win machine will need to be networked for better performance, and should be fast enough for almost all apps except gaming

6. MatMistake macrumors member

you need win xp pro on the pc
    it must be pro, the home version won't work

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Making a VNC conection is always an option too ...

8. zulgand04 thread starter macrumors regular

zulgand04

yeah, i thought of the remote desktop but since my compaq is a old peice of crap with windows 98 second edition lol (worst os ever) it won't work.

Now what is this vpn thingy??? :confused:

-Neal

9. magicfreek macrumors newbie

http://www.realvnc.com/ -- That is the version of VNC i used but that was windows to windows. Essentially its Remote Desktop for retarded computers. I don't know if there is a mac frontend for it, but if you do some searching under VNC it a pretty widespread protocall.

10. visor macrumors 6502

Well, If you don't need the imac anymore - you can always find the cables coming from the monitor into the graphicscard. disconnect them from the logic board, add a simple sub-d monitor connector to it, and plug it to the compaq.
    just make sure you make all the right connections.