PC user considering purchasing an iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wills68, Oct 24, 2003.

1. wills68 macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2003
    Have reviewed some of the past discussions on this topic and I'm keen to get my Mac feet wet.

I'm looking at buying a used model - my req's include DVD, Web surf, music, and potentially TV??? (will keep my PC for "Work type activity for the moment).

Are there any particular hardware faillings on the "DV" models I should be aware of and what about the TV application. Do iMac's make a good portable TV (Free to air and cable)?
    And if so any recomendations on tuner hardware (No high end editing required - just watching)?
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    By "DV" it sounds like youre considering a G3 iMac. However, I would very strongly recomend a G4 iMac instead.
  3. jilter macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2003
  4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    I think he means the fact there were G3 models that carried the "DV" moniker. Neither have anything to do with watching TV but rather only refer to digital video. Cards or external units, (as in the case for an all-in-one iMac or eMac) are readily available. I use the ForMac TVR. Priciest though. There was an excellent review on the eMac vs. the iMac, and unless you demand an LCD and don't mind the ugliness, the eMac won handily (do a search at macaddict.com. It's there). AND the price is WAY lower and was recently lowered more to around a grand WITH a DVD-R, 799 with Combo DVD/CD-RW.
  5. Sailfish macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2003
    eMacs are wonderful computers if your looking to save money and a third party device to watch tv is all you need.

It's a affordable, durable long-term solution.

It's kid proof, heavy and tough. Won't be surprised if eMacs last 10-20 years.

The quality of the display is awesome for watching DVD's and TV.

Just know that you'll have to keep it on your coffee table like I do. (Not across the room) It's the ultimate couch potato solution because it's at eye level when laying lengthwise on a couch.

My suggestion is to check out the Apple store and the configurations, you may not need a Superdrive that burns DVD's, thus saving some money. Data DVD's are great for backing up music collections.

Get and register your Applecare near the end of your first year (one year warranty expires) and you'll get another 3 years of guaranteed care.

If your not going to use it for high end gaming or DVD movie production then the eMac is a excellent value based choice.

The iMac is just the same about, but a different design and LCD monitor, more money.
  6. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    you only get 2 additional years if you purchase applecare right at the end... applecare coverage is total of 3 years from the day of the purchase of the original computer, NOT applecare.

that said, i highly recommend the eMac. just got one for my parents and can't think of a better overall package in terms of usability/price, even comparing against PCs. (well, the last point is my personal opinion, but i rather not have my Mom deal with constant stream of patches from M$ for XP...) just make sure to get more RAM - 128 MB is quite a pain with panther. (prob. with jag. too.)
  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Emac at 1 gig for under 800 bucks is a great buy, heck hook up with some of these companies like mac mall and you can get freebies for the mac. Imac is nice but performance is a lil lacking considering cost anyways its interesting that apple has that deal get 20 or more emacs for 599 each while they last??they coming up with a lcd fixed emac? & new g5 imac??? makes you wonder what the while they last means.
  8. wills68 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback guys - I'll let you know if I have any further questions.