PC user converting to mac need advise!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Reuven, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Reuven macrumors member

Reuven

Hi Guys,

I have been using a PC for over 8 years now & had enough with its problems!

I have deicded after seeing my freinds new G5 mac to covert to apple my breath was taken away !.

Before I go ahead and make my purchase of a new powerbook just need to ask the following question.

Will a powerbook with a G5 processor be out some time in 2004 ? Or will the G4 be out for a long while yet ?

Thanks/Regards,

Reuven

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No one knows, but at the rate Apple are going (complete stand still) it'll be decades before a G5 shows up in a PB :mad:
    So, if I were you and wanted a PB, I'd just go for it, you can wait for ever with updates, and you certainly will do with Apple :rolleyes:

3. Reuven thread starter macrumors member

Reuven

I see now that you mention that maybe I should go for an Ibook & later upgrade to a PB G5.

My main concern is I need the internet to be wireless can I do that with an Ibook ?

4. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

You can have wireless internet with ANY new computer these days, desktop or notebook.

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

id get the PB right now. it is still quite powerful and will last a long time. the biggest advantage of a G5 is if you do heavy duty image editing, video or music creation and editing. if you do any of the above id wait for a g5 if you need a PB. if youre just a standard user, e-mail, internet, documents, family pictures or small video clips, music on iTunes etc then the G4 PB will be great. there are people still using G3 powerbooks because they still work very well. unlike windows machines apples hold their quality for a long amount of time.

6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Really, since the iBook and PowerBooks are both currently G4, either one will do. If you're planning to really sling your 'Book around and throw it in backpacks and stuff, get the iBook. It's more rugged.

As to wireless...despite Intel trumpeting Centrino like it's the best new thing ever, :rolleyes: Macs have had the same 802.11b wireless for many years now (since 1999!) and currently have the faster, but still compatible, 802.11g wireless capability. So you're totally good there.

7. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Hi there,
    I just want to remind everyone that Steve Jobs (the Bill Gates of Apple) said that he'd *like* to have the G5 in a PB by the end of 2004. But this is purely speculation. Anyway, I think that the G4 ibooks are a wonderful deal and yes they are wireless and I even hear that they get a better range than the PowerBooks :eek: . You'll be happy with either one.

Good Luck,
    JOD8FY