PC User looking of equivalent Mac software

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by mrviga, Apr 20, 2004.

1. mrviga macrumors member

Jan 13, 2004
    I just ordered my new 17" powerbook yesterday, and it will be my first Mac. I do however, like to use a program called Alcohol 120% to make and burn CD/DVD images. I was wondering if there was a program like this for the Mac. Alcohol is special because it seems to "overlook" and DVD protection, allowing me to watch my favorite DVD's while traveling and not taking the disk. It also lets me mount CDs as is they were right in the drive.

Thanks for all your help!

2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Disk Utility (part of Mac OS X) can grab images of CDs and (unprotected) DVDs as well as burning disk images.

Any image that is on the hard disk can be mounted just by doubleclicking them.
  3. mrviga thread starter macrumors member

Jan 13, 2004
    Haha, I should have known it would be built right in. GO APPLE! Is there anything out there that will make images of DVD movies, so I can watch them without the disk?
  4. encro macrumors 6502

May 6, 2002
    You can just drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto your hard drive and use the DVD Player application to watch it without the DVD being in the drive.

To remove the CSS/Macrovision protection you can use a utility called DVDBackup and then DVD2One X to compress it to standard 4.7Gig

If you require more than what is built in to OS X for burning you can use the all powerful Roxio Toast :)
  5. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    You may also be interested in more flexible tools like MacTheRipper or DVDBackup.

Apple's provided DVD player does not require the presence of a physical DVD or even an image of a DVD to work. It will allow you to open VIDEO_TS folders to playback content.
  6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    DVDBackup does that*. Also, I recommend Toast, as it can handle more formats and has more features than Disk Utility.

only for all the legal stuff yadda yadda

ARG! *slaps ElectricSheep and encro*