PC user looking to switch to mac HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by musicjunky99, Mar 30, 2004.

1. musicjunky99 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone ... I am a music composer who is currently using a p4 1.0g along with acid 4.0 and cubase sx. I have been considering a mac for a very long time but I'm not exactly sure what the benefits are. I've been searching the web for a while and it is hard to find good solid advice. Anyone out there work with audio and midi seriously that can give me some direction as far as what to buy. .... right now I am looking to add DP 4 and a lexicon omega to any mac system. I'd like my setup to be fairly mobile. Cost is also somewhat of a factor. I would use it 95% of the time for working with audio and midi.

2. jumpman25 macrumors regular

Don't know that much about composing music, but here is a thread that might help you out a little with the pros of mac computers.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=64943

3. musicjon macrumors newbie

It's a good thing

I made the switch 1 year ago February, it is absolutely the best move I've ever made. Every time I've had to help a fellow musician put their Windows machine back together I want to kiss my Powerbook (and the iMac I had before it).

Beware of the G5 at this point. I had to return one due to the ever popular noisy power supply issue. Once that is taken care of it will be an awesome machine. I learned my lesson on that one, never buy Rev. A.

Check out osxaudio.com, it's got an emagic bias, but you'll get a good idea about what's up in the mac audio world.

FYI the switch from Cubase PC to Cubase Mac is only $12, which is awesome.

4. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Well, GarageBand (an incredibly cool music program that's included with iLife--which you get with whatever Mac you buy) is going to make a Mac worth your while. You say cost is a factor. Can you give us a price range? Right now, with the need for mobility, it sounds as if a powerbook 12" or 15" would be best. Depends on how much power and screen size you need as well as cost. Also, do you work in dim rooms or the dark? The 15" has an illuminated keyboard but it does cost extra.

5. Opteron macrumors 6502

$ for $ your going to get a more powerful PC, eg Dual Opterons/xeons, or whatever.

Dispite what these zeolites will tell you Win XP pro or Win 2000 Pro are extremley stable and rarely crash. You just have to remember to go to the windows update once a month or so.

All the Pro Audio apps are avaliable cross platform and gennerally run faster on PC's due to better code optimization, and an operating system that doesn't use so many system resourses.

6. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I've got the feeling that musicjunky99 may need rather more than GarageBand... it's a nice program for beginners but even I can spot it's limitations
    :rolleyes:

7. musicjunky99 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey guys ... thanks for the help so far ... I will be getting digital performer and an audio interface which will run me about 900 together which was why I was hoping to keep the cost of the computer down. I was looking at the powerbook 15 with the superdrive ... but was unsure about how much memory I would need. Being from the pc world ... in which numbers mean everything ... it is hard to gauge. I don't really use softsynths all that much ... but in the past that has only been because of lagg and rendering time ... any advice?? I really want to get something that I can hang on to for a while ... is it worth it to get a referb or used from a dealer?????

thanks again

8. rnizlek macrumors 6502

I'd go with a 1 GB, if you can afford it. Here's why:

Boot OS X only on G5/2.0MP = 450MB
    OS X + Word, Excel, Mail, and Safari = 588MB
    OS X + iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, and AppleWorks = 640MB
    OS X + Final Cut Pro 4, Compressor, LiveType, SoundTrack and iDVD = 678MB
    OS X + Excel + ImageReady + GoLive + Transfer + Safari = 807MB
    OS X + Photoshop (500MB cache) + open 83MB doc = 1033MB

from Barefeats.com

9. musicjon macrumors newbie

You will need a Firewire HD to do audio work on a Powerbook, so remember to build that into your budget. I use 768MB of RAM, but would advise 1 GB.

I have been satisfied with Apple Refurbs in the past and would buy again, but be aware of what version of OSX is included. I think most PowerMac G4's include 10.2 (10.3 is current).

A PowerBook + DP or Logic + a MOTU 828MKII is a pretty standard setup. Metric Halo interfaces are also popular. Avoid MLAN stuff like the plague.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Is that accurate?? I mean, WinXP pro uses around 200-220MB, and Redhat9 (kernel v2.4 with KDE version.. uhhh.... I can't remember what version of KDE RH9 is distributed with), if i recall, uses about 175MB. Does OSX really use 2-2.5x as much memory as its competitors?? That's pretty poor, if it's true. Especially since several of thier machines max out at 640MB (iBook, most notably).

11. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

if you want a pb to hold on to it for awhile you should wait a little while for the pbs upgrades are coming soon

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

<off topic>

i can only speak for my windows machine:
    xp - mozilla - outlook express - icq: 152mb
    .. same as above + itunes : 175mb
    + matlab 6.0(booted) + Civilization 2(old but i don't have any other games installed at the moment) + ePSXe(GT2 running) + mediaplayer( showing a divx south park episode) : 280 mb out of 1024 mb
    you really need a lot software running or the latest games at max resultions to get winxp pro to use more than 512 mb

450mb just for booting up sounds really a lot....