Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theGroove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Hi, I'm a PC user more than ready to convert to Mac. I have been reading these boards for the past few weeks. I originally planned to get either a MacBook or MacBook Pro this spring when leopard, rosetta, C2D, etc are available. However I found this deal at my local Frys: Core Duo 20" iMac w/250GB, 2.0Ghz, 512MB, and 128 ATI XL1600 video card for $899 + tax. What should I do? Is this deal to good to pass up?

Thanks,

Ryan

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Go for it. It will be a good machine to get to know how to use MAC OS X and you can probably sell that for more than that in the Spring when Tiger is released anyway. Go with it.

theGroove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Thanks for the replys. I'm going to stop by after work today, hopefully they still have some available. Also can I get applecare for it even though I'm buying it at Fry's or is Fry's extended warranty my only option?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
theGroove said:
Thanks for the replys. I'm going to stop by after work today, hopefully they still have some available. Also can I get applecare for it even though I'm buying it at Fry's or is Fry's extended warranty my only option?
Do you know anything about Fry's coverage?

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
theGroove said:
While at Fry's I would pick up some additional RAM if they have it. If not I would order some. At least another 512MB. 1GB if you can afford it.

theGroove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
I'm not sure about Fry's coverage plan, I'll have to look into it. I have added RAM many time to a PC. Is the iMac farely easy to add RAM? The case looks somewhat intimidating.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
theGroove said:
I'm not sure about Fry's coverage plan, I'll have to look into it. I have added RAM many time to a PC. Is the iMac farely easy to add RAM? The case looks somewhat intimidating.
Two screws off the bottom of the iMac and then you just open the latches. Install the RAM and close the latches. Screw the panel back on and you're done.

You'll want to try to compare AppleCare coverage vs. Fry's. You might get better coverage from Fry's. Just make sure it's nationwide.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
I wouldnt recommend Fry's plan. I know fry's it is no frills, lines and aggravating.

You will want applecare, as when you bring it to authorized apple service centers, who only do apple. They will know what they are doing.

of course, i hope this isn't an issue for you. iMac Core Duo's are very reliable and rank very high on the customer satisfaction and reliablity.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
theGroove said:
Hi, I'm a PC user more than ready to convert to Mac. I have been reading these boards for the past few weeks. I originally planned to get either a MacBook or MacBook Pro this spring when leopard, rosetta, C2D, etc are available. However I found this deal at my local Frys: Core Duo 20" iMac w/250GB, 2.0Ghz, 512MB, and 128 ATI XL1600 video card for $899 + tax. What should I do? Is this deal to good to pass up?

Thanks,

Ryan

Wow that price is amazing! Is that because it's not the latest iMac model? Still, it hardly matters - I think the only difference was a change in CPU from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo, and that really doesn't make as big a difference as people make it out.

Still, one can't really compare desktops to laptops? Are you sure you won't regret not getting a laptop? I would not trade my lil' MacBook for any iMac, even if someone offered my the latest 24" iMac. I mean in real life I would, because of course I could sell the 24" iMac and still buy the MacBook and then some... But what I'm saying is if in some theoretical scenario I had to choose between using the 24" iMac vs. my MacBook for the rest of my life, I would still choose the MacBook.

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
Really, it's a good deal. Although, I would do as others have stated and upgrade the RAM. Tiger will fly with 1GB or more.

Really I don't think you will miss not haivng a laptop. They are nice and convenient. But unless you are in a job or other application where you need portability every single day, then the portability is just a neat toy in my opinion.

That machine will suit you fine. The processor changes won't affect you too much for general use. I just bought a C2D iMac last month (PC Convert) and they are coming out with quad cores soon.

theGroove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Ya, I orginally wanted a laptop since my current PC is a laptop and I'm use to being able to carry it from room to room, work from the couch, etc. However, at this price I think I may be welling to give that up. I don't know, I think I will go by Fry's and see what they have left, if they only have the floor model I may pass and hold out a little longer. Also, I'm wondering if their MacBook's will go on sale when the new ones come out.

minnesotamacman

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
theGroove said:

I have personally changed out RAM in my iMac and it is EASY!

theGroove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Dammit Dammit Dammit! Went to Fry's atfer work and they didn't have any left. I knew I should have bought one on Sunday when I was there. :mad:

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
switching

you'll love the mac... the hardware is unreal... the os is great... the applications are really cool.. I guess the hardest time I have is certain things are different and I could easy change over besides I still have to use PC's all day everyday at work... so it makes it hard... read some of the stuff on my site to see what I have been through...

dd

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Your best move is to watch the Apple Refurb page and grab the latest model Core 2 Duo iMac when you see one.

In many cases, you'll end up with free extras at no cost like extra RAM.
The refurbs generally arrive in pristine condition without any indication they've ever been used and you still have the full factory warranty with available AppleCare.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
theGroove said:
Dammit Dammit Dammit! Went to Fry's atfer work and they didn't have any left. I knew I should have bought one on Sunday when I was there. :mad:

yeah with smashing deals like that you need to snatch that up immediately...even if it's just to resell you could easily make a few hundred bucks. i picked up a MBP from compusa on clearance for $1499 too bad it was a PIECE haha. you may also want to check out compusa as well.....

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
CRAMP USA sells old stock Apple products.

The latest manufacturing date is important on certain models.

Sometimes those super special reseller deals end up being more trouble than they are worth when you end up with early Rev " A " models.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
FFTT said:
CRAMP USA sells old stock Apple products.

The latest manufacturing date is important on certain models.

Sometimes those super special reseller deals end up being more trouble than they are worth when you end up with early Rev " A " models.

that's not true man. the C2D iMac i'm typing on now came from compusa and not apple. It was in stock a few days after apple announced them.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
I know my statement sounds harsh, but I've heard enough to know that CompUSA
will try to sell you old stock unless you know specifically what you are looking for.

To be fair, things may have gotten better at a few stores after numerous complaints, but some stores still keep their Apple displays in horrible condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.