PC User purchasing Mac after MWNY

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by pbailey, Jul 7, 2002.

1. pbailey macrumors newbie

pbailey

I used to own a Nubus Power Mac 7100/80 but moved to a PC Compatible many years ago. With the introduction of Mac OS X over a year ago and the soon to be release of Jaguar, has convinced me to purchase a Pro Power Mac after MWNY.

My question: Does anyone know if I can share my PC's internal DSL modem (running Windows XP Pro) and will the Mac have access to it so I can get on the internet.

Thanks.

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

most likely, yes

all you need is a router

if the cable modem connects to your PC over USB, though, and has no ethernet port, then it might be more complicated

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Note the words...

..."internal". I would guess not, but I'm not sure. OSX.2 can share internet connections, but I don't know if Windows can share internet connections with OSX.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Check the website of the manufacturer to see whether they support the Mac.

Most likely not for the internal modems.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you intend to allow the peecee to act as the access point for the DSL, then you just need to get the router, or maybe some software to keep using it. If you want to put it into your Mac, you can probably forget about it.

Your situation is yet another reason why having an external DSL/Cable modem is a good idea. With the external, you can have any computer go online, at any time and NOT need one system to always be on to share the connection. The Airport base station is also an excellent option, especially if you have friends with laptops and wireless network cards. All decent DSL and cable companies, provide you with a modem to use to go online. I know Earthlink does, as does several others companies in MA.

6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

just install a network card into the XP machine and turn on internet connection sharing (ICS) on the DSL modem. itll set your NIC to 192.168.0.1 and act as a miniDHCP server.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If that works, you will have to keep the peecee running whenever you want to go online. The external DSL modem/router combination requires no computer be online in order to use the connection (with another system). You can get routers with either one, four, or eight LAN ports on them (integrated 10/100 switches).

Another reason to not purchase a DSL modem, is when (not if) the technology changes, you don't need to go out an purchase another modem and junk the old one. You may not save any money in the long run, but you will feel better since you won't have a chunk of hardware without any use. To get my DSL modem from Earthlink, all I had to pay was shipping on the connection package (filters and modem).

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: Note the words...

oops :D

9. pbailey thread starter macrumors newbie

pbailey

I purchased a Mac

Well I decided not to wait for MWNY, and decided to take advantage of Apple's $300 rebate and purchased a Power Mac G4 933MHz tower. I'm amazed how responsive this unit is.

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions and would like to send a special Thank You to sparkleytone. His suggestion worked perfectly. I purchased an airport card, airport base station along with a network card for my PC and now have access to my PC's internal DSL modem.

Now I can't wait for Mac OS 10.2 (aka Jaguar).