PC User - Questions about switching esp XCode

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by scb51, Aug 4, 2004.

1. scb51 macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2004
    I have been using PC's for a while - I use them at work where I program in VB.Net. I am considering switching because of the developer tools that come with the systems, the scripting capabilities, the lower probability of getting attacked by a virus, and other things. I grew up with a IIc and loved it. I can't say that I love my PC as much.
    I guess my questions are -
    1. Could I remote desktop to a PC on a mac or a powerbook (or ibook)?
    2. Are the developer tools available on all Macs? And are they pretty good?
    And just general advice -
  2. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base

Yes, Microsoft do a Remote Desktop client for the Mac. www.microsoft.com/mac under "other products."

As to XCode, I haven't done much serious work with it, so I won't comment on the code editing/debugging abilities, but I will say the GUI designer tool is the best I've seen. (Having worked with Visual Studio and various Java IDEs)
  3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Forget Microsoft, Apple has a great solution already:

As for developer tools, it should be a dream come true for you. Apple offers most of their tools for free, included on CD with the OS X releases or as a download. If you are a student I would suggest joining the Apple Developer Connection for Students (I just did this myself). You get an excellent hardware discount, developer's kit, news, etc.
  4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002

Xcode is very nice. Its a little slow in some places, and it forces MVC by haveing a separate GUI tool (they work together though) so you might have to get used to that coming from VS... Code sense is very usefull, if a little slow, Xcode 1.5 (coming soon) should help with the speed. And thier other debugging tools (CHUD) are really great.
  5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    How fast is Remote Desktop between a Wintel machine and the Mac?
  6. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    You mean using terminal services/XP Pro remote login, or the two different remote systems in comparison?
  7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Remote systems in comparison. Like Microsofts or others that are reasonably good or great. Basically is Apples the best or is there better in the price range?
  8. Lincoln macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2003
    Remote Desktop for Mac

I may be wrong, but I don't think that you can use the Apple Remote Desktop software to control a PC.

So you are basically stuck with Microsoft's implementation. However, if you use this software, the account you logon to the PC with MUST have a password or it won't work. This is a security requirement for the Remote Desktop (RDC) software for both PC's and Mac's; i.e. you don't leave a PC that can be controlled (or more accurately logged on to) with no password requirement as anyone with the RDC software can access the box.
  9. slughead macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    Xcode is OK, I can't get java programs to compile on it worth crap, but the editor is fantastic.

The indenting is really great as is the syntax coloring.
  10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    Xcode is great, but Interface Builder is phenomenal at what it does. 'Nuff said. As for Xcode, I love it. Just about everything about it is customizable, even if it does take a trip to the Terminal occasionally to directly write to the prefs file. Code completion, if used correctly, can be a great time saver. Be sure to turn off distributed builds though, as the network overhead just isn't worth the speedup.
  11. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Xcode took a bit of time to get used to for me, especially Interface Builder, but now I like it. Code sense is nice, most of the time, but it is also annoying when it tries to autocomplete every time I try to hardcode a floating point number.
  12. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Just a thought, another alternative to remote desktop on Windows is VNC. That'll work with a Mac.