pc user. want to switch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vscap, Feb 2, 2004.

1. vscap macrumors newbie

I currently have a Win 98 desktop and an XP Sony Vaio. I don't know if it is hardware or software but my laptop crashes at least once daily that requires turning it off and restarting.
    I have been thinking of switching to a Mac for about a month and have been reading these boards to get info. My main use would be for making home DVDs of my kids to send to the grandparents. I was thinking of the iMac but with all the talk of a new form factor coming for imac I don't want to buy old technology.
    I would welcome input on the best system for the needs I described and if it is better to wait a few months for a G5 imac if it is coming. I will have to keep the Vaio for work (I would not be a good salesperson for Sony or M$ as I am not a fan of either) but I have decided my home computer is going to be a mac.
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks,
    Vince

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

G5 imac G5 imac G5 imac G5 imac G5 imac G5 imac G5 imac G5 imac G5 imac G5 imac....

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Windows 98 is a pretty poorly written program, even by Microsoft's standards. Unfortunately, Windows ME is even worse. Here's a few thoughts for the here and now as well as your future Macintosh life:

* If you can (it will take about a day to accomplish this), upgrade your Windows laptop to Windows 2000 Professional - the minimum operating system requirements are a Pentium 166 and 128MB of RAM. However, don't upgrade your existing installation of Windows 98, wipe your hard drive and install Windows 2000 fresh on an NTFS partition. This will keep your laptop stable enough for everyday use. I recommend checking with a friend familiar with your circumstances and laptop before doing this, but if you don't mind having a little down time it is a useful upgrade.

* I've honestly been considering upgrading my current Beige G3 to something newer. One thing to consider is the pricing and features for "old" versus "new" technology. For the uses you've described, I don't necessarily think that a G5 is what you need. You can get a very nice tower form dual-G4 from Apple right now that will author DVDs and manage everyday tasks in a form-factor that is ultimately more expandable than any iMac G5 would be. It's true you'll never be able to upgrade a G4 to a G5, but you can add a lot more to a G4 as you grow with it than the form factors of the current G5 tower or any iMac G5 would permit. Plus, you can have a Superdrive/Combo Drive setup on the G4 that will allow you to copy DVDs without pushing them onto your hard drive first. I don't know, if you wanted to do high-end statistical number crunching, use a 3-D graphics program or edit sound and video in realtime on a frame-by-frame basis, then a G5 would be appropriate. However, for making DVDs for grandma, a G5 is beyond overkill.

Just my $.02.

4. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Wait for the next iMac upgrade. It shouldn't be too much longer I hope. Do you know about the Macrumors buying guide? Take a look at that. I have to say there is something to think about buying older models instead of the newest one. I just got a sweet deal on a 12" 867 powerbook. I love it. For longevity I think a G5 would be nice if you already have a nice monitor. You should think about picking up one of the current Powermac's after the new models come out. There are some good deals on the refurbished 1.6 models and the single 1.8 models. But the deals on these models will get better with time. Still, I think a G5 iMac would be so awesome.

5. vscap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks FoxyKaye & Coca Cola,

Actually, the laptop that I have to keep is Win XP Pro and it is terrible. Don't know if its hardware or software but I hate it.
    Desktop I am replacing is Win98 and SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! How much would the current G5s drop when the new ones are released?

6. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Whoops, my bad. Although, the same rule would apply to WinXP - Sometimes the only way to fix a Windows machine is to wipe the hard drive and reinstall. WinXP should also only be installed on an NTFS partition. If your laptop is in the Pentium II/Early Pentium III class, you might also get some speed improvements through "downgrading" to Win2K. Also check your RAM - WinXP needs a lot (more than 128MB) and check your virtual memory settings, they may have been turned off.

It seems like Apple drops prices between $200 and $500 on older machines in the same family. The refurbished models offer up to $1000 off on retail price. This might be comparing an apple and an orange, but I bought a refurbished 2nd generation iPod (20 Gig) a year ago and it works like new. Of course, educational discounts through Apple are also pretty good too, especially on AppleCare.

Good luck, and welcome out of the Wintrix!

7. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

There are some great deals on refurbished G5's right now on the apple store special deals page. I say, if you have the monitor. Get one if you can't wait any longer. You won't reget it. If you have any problems with your machine be sure and get on the phone with applecare as long as you have it for ninety days. Use it as much as possible. If you have an issue reported in that time it is still covered beyond the limited time. You shouldn't have any problems, if you do, you can get applecare and and tech on the phone for repair or replacement. If they managed to miss something in the refurbishment process.

8. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

as much as we like to have the newest model, the present configs will probably fit your needs. if you really need a computer and you have the money, i would say just go for it. but if you can hang on for a bit, wait. maybe an update will come soon...who knows...not i

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

G5 is now and the next 5 years for apple, G5 apps are coming and so is a G5 OS. getting a G4 is buying old stale obsolete cpu that has been frozen again for a year or more. G5 Imac is coming maybe tomorrow may be next month maybe this summer but it is coming. If you cant wait then buy a protower but anyone telling you to go for a g4 is like telling you to buy another system in the next 2 years. G5 is the long term investment and they have great deals on the 1.8 today. G4 is a Tonka Truck and G5 is a Ferrari now ask yourself what do you want to drive?