PC Video Card

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dr. No, Oct 14, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

I have a quick quesion about a PC I am upgrading.
    It is a Dell Pentium III (1 GHz) and I am going to upgrade it to XP Pro.

It has 2 graphics contollers. Which will work better w/XP:

-i815 integrated?
    -ATi All In Wonder 128 Pro PCI?

Any thoughts:confused:

The ATi is old, and on the PCI bus, so I thought the integrated would be better for the XP GUI.

Or does anyone know where I could find out?

2. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well I'm not a big windows person, but umm, I'd check each of the company's web pages of that make the cards. They are probably fine with XP. I bought a graphics card for the PC and it got messed up because I had the monitor in the graphics card before setting it up. My opinion I think Macs are simpler, haha sorry I had to put that in. Good Luck!!

:D

3. macrumors 65816

G5orbust

both those options are crap and will do you no good with winXP, though it you have to keep your current card, keep the PCI graphics card.

Best option: Drop 100 bucks on this sucker and youll be on your way to PCI graphics card heaven in windows xp.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

...I think the computer has an AGP port...

The system is not mine...

I do not know why Dell would use PCI instead of AGP in a Gigahertz machine...

5. macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Because it's cheaper to use integrated components instead of dishing out for extra components. Less components = more profit for Dell.

Since you're only running a P3 w/ limited bandwidth, it's a pointless to waste a hundred trying to buff it up. A $44 GeForce4 MX card from newegg.com will be more than efficient for whatever you'll do w/ the system.