pc video cards?

Discussion in 'Games' started by HunterPlatinum, Sep 19, 2006.

1. HunterPlatinum macrumors member

HunterPlatinum

hey just incase anyone here is a pc wiz here is a question for you-

i dont have much money and I am trying to buy a video card that will run Battlefield 2

here are my two choices so far
    Radeon X300SE Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB DDR
    or
    VisionTek Xtasy Radeon X300SE Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB DDR

both are under $80 at my local CompUsa store.

Any constructive input???

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I have a Radeon 9550 256 and it runs Battlefield 2 as smooth as butter. Runs everything well actually and it was about 80 bucks too.

If they're comparable to mine, then you're set.

3. HunterPlatinum thread starter macrumors member

HunterPlatinum

is that a pci express card as well?

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

AGP only I think, if you have the funds I HIGHLY suggest atleast an X600.

5. HunterPlatinum thread starter macrumors member

HunterPlatinum

yeah i just looked it up- it is agp
    i guess i will just buy one of those and if it sux i will just take it back and get something else

6. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

alright well

the x300 is just a pci express version of the 9600 which was a pretty decent card in its time.

I used to play bf2 non stop like it was my job but then my computer just got too slow i have the 9800 pro ( i need to get a new video card, I killed that thing)

try to get an x800 or like a nvidia 6800 those cards are both pci express and run the game pretty good. they shouldnt be that expensive for the pci express version

7. HunterPlatinum thread starter macrumors member

HunterPlatinum

well i purchased the Radeon X300SE Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB DDR so once i install it i will let ya all know how it works-

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think the SE card with ATI are normally toned down versions of the pro/XT/XTX/whatever they wanna call it, but seeing as you bought it I hope it works well for you! My friend uses the mobile version on his Dell laptop and it seems to run games like Max Payne 2 and such just peachy.

9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You would have been a LOT better off picking up a 7300. :(

10. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

11. HunterPlatinum thread starter macrumors member

HunterPlatinum

so i installed the damn card- and a new motherboard- and now my cpu wont even turn on- i wired it all ok- using a 939socket and someone told me that its my ram ol school ddr pc2700 but i was using a 939socket motherboard before so i have no idea why its not working

so for the first time ever- i took my computer into a shop to be looked at-
    i feel so ashamed-
    i am doing 20 Hail Mary's tonight for my sins

:( :( :( :(

12. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

There are various definitions as to what the 'SE' could stand for, but its usually a heavily cut down version of the normal card. In this case, I believe the already slow X300 card has been cut down to a measily 2 pipelines, giving it the performance of a Radeon 9200 or so - a midrange card from like 2002. In other words, AVOID THAT CARD. You can do MUCH MUCH better for the money. You can pick up a used Radeon 9800 Pro that will easily be 6-8x faster than the X300SE.

13. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

X300? blehhh, no thanks. my 9800 pro can run BF2 alright...but only when i turn off all of the features. if you are going agp, id pick up a 6600 GT b/c its a great card and you can find it cheap on newegg im sure. even if you dont like the 6600 GT (tho i cant see any reason why) be sure to pick a card with at leadt 128 MB and stay away from anything with an SE at the end of the name. a gig of ram will do the body good as well

14. dwishbone macrumors regular

this is a seperate question about PC Video Cards. i remember at one point ATI and Nvidia that made cards for the PC that could be flashed with a Mac bios and would work correctly inside a Mac. I was wondering if there are any recent cards that are A. flashable in this way & B. will work with a first generation 2x2 G5?

15. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

http://www.strangedogs.com

Go to the forums. Tons of Mac vid card flashing info there. Or you can buy pre-flashed cards on eBay alot of times. You should be able to flash X800-generation cards with out TOO much problems.

16. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

if you suspect that your ram is the problem, take it out and switch the slot it is in. boot up and check out your bios. your computer should run a memory test upon booting up. if you are using a different motherboard then i would look to that first, esp if you were able to boot up fine with the same hardware in another socket 939 (or w/e) motherboard. in most newer cpus, they have built in protection so that if the motherboard is faulty or there is the voltage level is off then the system wont power up.

17. HunterPlatinum thread starter macrumors member

HunterPlatinum

yeah - i cant switch out the ram since it is at the shop being diagnosed.
    i suck- i cant believe i actualy sent my computer to get looked at :mad: