PC 'virus' rebounds on Mac users

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by srobert, Jan 27, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

—>_Link to the article <—

They had to pull us under the bus with them... Makes you wonder why they'd even write the thing for a PC website.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Viruii

As long as it doesn't do something to my mac, it can go ahead and fill up my inbox. I know it can be alot, but as long as I have no down time, I could careless. Ok, I do care, because I'm a PC techy at my school, looks like I will be doing lots of work today, Damn.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I know what this means!

We here at Northwest Missouri State University are the electronic campus. Every dorm room has a desktop Gateway PC. Campus network will be going down in a few days once this virus embeds itself deeply into the core. Once the 'antidote' is developed, they'll spend a few days wiping and reformatting every campus hard drive before they open us back up to the internet.

That'll make 4 times since September! I was talking to a techie about how bad Blaster infected us, and he said that the Blaster virus was, at its peak, consuming twice the bandwidth that all the students on campus were.

Glad I's gots me Apple PBook!!

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    rather have my email mailbox fill up with messages than have my pee cee filled up with virus crap. at least i dont have to run updates all the time and worry about viruses,

havent used a virus protection thing on a mac ever

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: PC 'virus' rebounds on Mac users

it is a bit strange to isolate and just mention Macs, as if the email inboxes being filled up with bounces is an isolated problem for Mac (it isn't) or the fault of the Mac (it isn't).

he should have written:

:rolleyes:

6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Of course it just a sad attempt to drag Macs into the mess. Negative publicity.
    They could have said Macs are immune except for full inboxes - but no.
    One of my PC friends said me an email warning me about this virus. I sent a reply saying Ha Ha I've still got a Mac (my 4th).

Ironically my work want to swap to PCs (we are probably the largest user of Macs in the UK). It was nice to see an email saying that the PCs with us have been contaminated and its rather nasty.

My friends PC checks for updates and virusssss (viri/vira) every 30 minutes, I just glad he's using that processing power to do something.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i've gotten a TON of the emails... and i laugh about all of them... i hate it when macs get mentioned during these virus scares...

8. Wash!! macrumors 6502

I glad I use a mac

My IT manager send a frantic email about to everyone in my company, I reply to him "Boy, I'm glad I have a mac" he reply back "smart a**" :D

9. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Mentioning Macs specifically was very misleading. However, this should be a wake up call for Apple to build in multiple layers of security into all of their applications and OSX.

First, the worm should have been detected by antivirus services protecting Mail. Second, the OS should have detected the suspicious activity. Failing that the worm should have been detected when trying to send outgoing email. At each stage the malicious code should have been detected, isolated, and removed.

I am curious to know if those few Macs running Antivirus software such as Virex or Norton were able to catch this one.

10. Independence macrumors regular

I got a very strange email earlier. Text was garbled and the attachment was text.zip.

Fortunately, I only use Linux and am immune to this virus. :)

11. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

If you briefly put Mail in "Training" mode for junk mail, you can quickly "teach" it to filter out the virus messages as Junk. Of course it still has to download them all, but it's better than having to sift through all of them to find your *real* mail.

12. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Mail's junk filter continues to learn once its enabled and not in training mode. So if you have filtering enabled, just mark all crap as junk and mail should take care of it.

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I didn't get any junk email, thank God for .Mac. :)

14. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

I did not know that.
    What then is the point of having a training mode at all?

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Training mode will not move any emails to the Junk folder, it will leave them in your inbox, marked as Junk. It's mostly for those first couple of weeks when the filter is hugely affected by whatever you consider "junk". after a month or so, when you're confident that it's no longer "junking" your legitimate emails, you switch to normal mode, and it moves things to Junk.

basically, it's to keep idiots from ignoring the few mistakes that the filter makes in the beginning :)

paul

16. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I just got on my computer this evening and wow, I must a met a lot of new friends today. I got over 80 e-mails with this virus. When I signed up with our DSL carrier, I stupidly choose an easy to remember e-mail address (brian@xxxxxxx.net). It must sent out an e-mail to common first names @ whatever dot com or net.

Of course, the idiots at the DSL provider didn't think to put a filter to catch these things.

17. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I'm intrigued. Are you able to tell me which organisation that is?

18. groov' macrumors regular

V-filters, good or bad?

My provider (XS4all.nl) has very effective virusfilters: normally I get between 20 and 40 mails (apart from spam) a day, but today thus far only 3.

Too effective maybe? I wonder if I miss some free lance e-work which is regularly mailed to me. Do I have to check now with every possible employer if they (failed to) send me something these days?

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Bah, I get a ton of spam.

Ton of spam...

But whatever, I don't care.

If I get a virus, I don't care, it is never for my mac anyway.

20. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

I personally am having problems communicating with anyone by email right now. Between out-of-commission networks and flooded inboxes, a lot of people seem to just be avoiding email completely.

21. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Cambridge University. Mac all over the place. The computer lab has a mac lab (aptly named "The Macintosh Laboratory"). There is however that horrible decline that I talked about.

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I hear out network has it pretty bad, too. The entire system is handled be Dell using XP Pro. Fortunately, I don't use my school's email and I am on my PowerBook, so I am quite content at the moment. This is probably the fourth time something has caused a major problem with the network, but at least it isn't as bad as last semester with all those attacks that happened one after the other. Our network was down more often than it was up and so many people had infections that the school had to spend a great deal of money securing licensing rights to Norton Antivirus so that everyone on campus could pick up a free antivirus subscription. Unfortunately, though, I hear there will be yet another increase in room and boarding fees next semester to make up for it.

23. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    started getting a few random emails containing the virus, at least that is what i assume, but no worries here