PC Vs. Mac. My thoughts

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Backtothemac, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, as many of you here know I am a die hard Mac user. I have been using Mac's since the days of Oregon Trail. That being said, I have been using PC's since the 80's. However over the last few years I have been Mac only. I am an MCP, and was a network admin for several years, and most recently sold Mac's for a living.

Recently, a friend was moving to Utah, and needed to sell his Dell PIV 1.5GHZ Dimension 8100. So, to help out him, and to have a system at home that I can get games for my daughter from Wal Mart, I bought the system.

After two months, here are my observations.

1st. Windows is still Windows. It is a pain in the ass. For example. Bought a new ATI 8500 All In Wonder DV the other day, and although the card worked, the USB Remote would not. No matter what. It would not see it for the driver to install. SO, exchanged for an Nvidia 5200 Ultra 128MB, and that install took all day, and required a clean install of the OS. But, now it is fine. The machine is fast, real fast. Much more so than my 17" iMac. It is cheap, everything is easy to find for the system except the expensive RDRAM.

2nd. Mac OS X is the greatest OS on the planet. It does what is meant to do, let you work. Hardware is pricey, but my God, it is beautiful, and worth it. Software is a pain to find, and drivers, well, we all know how that goes. 3 years for scanner support in X was sick. I love the Mac. The G5 will be the saving grace. But for consumers.....

3rd. Consumers would have more fun on a Mac, and less headache, but they would have to learn the OS, and they would have to get used to being treated like a second class customer. The computer industry doesn't respect the Mac customer. Nor does the average consumer know that Mac's still exist, or how they work. I have actually had people say that he did not wan't a Mac because you could not get on the internet with a Mac. (Sidenote: Do we really want people like that using our beloved Macintosh?)

So, I have decided to sell my iMac, because we need the money. Not because we want to, but beause we had to. I will be getting a G5 before to long, but I would love to see it move to the consumer systems. They need a serious power boost. When you consider that a 2 year old Dell will scorch a brand new iMac.

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I agree with you completely B2TM. For individual use the Macintosh is king. The main advantage I see in PCs is in their price, if I'm running a server or render farm I'm going for a PC. I want a personal computer then I'm going Mac.

3. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Exactly. The Mac is superior, but the PC has benifits. Especially for people on a budget. Why buy an eMac for 799 or 999 that a PC can blow the doors off of, and you can't software for easily. It is out there, but most people don't want to spend the time looking for it.

So, Apple should power up the low end systems, or drop margin and prices on them, and market better than damn switch ads.

4. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

a aggree cheeper equipment and MUCH better ads will do it, i dont see why apple didnt push airport like intel is pushing centrino(if thats how you spell it) i meen apple could have done the same kinda ad, wiht people surfing the internet in places they shouldent be. and they would have been amazing. if apple were to push extreem and market it as being so much faster than centrino tech then they ought to be noticed. as for the software issue, well thats a problem that the software companys are gonna have to fix. but as for software that comes pre installed the mac is amazing, even the cheep winblows computers dont have MS office so i dont understand why people are complaining. granted its harder to get software for the mac, but im just rambling now and i think il stop :D

to make a long and uninformative post short, i aggree with you B2TM i think better ads will most definatley help

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Wait so you bought the PC off your friend to help him out with moving, but then that caused you to see your iMac, shucks how depressing. :(

There are good and bad points to everything, if a products sells then it had those characteristics.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Both have advantages - and both are better than the other in different areas.

Personally, I think Macs are better over-all - but that is just my opinion.

scem0

7. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I agree totally with BacktotheMac and I think that the main advantage of the Macintosh platform is its intuitive Operating System, OS X. While I think Windows has come a ways in the past few years, since '95 and ME, I still think it has a ways to go since it is a giant piece of bloatware and some of it's "features" end up being headaches. ;)

8. pEZ macrumors 6502

As far as software goes, most of the universe, including potential switchers, don't believe that there is any software for the Mac platform, because big name developers like 3DO, MicroProse, EA, etc. DON'T support the Mac anymore - they sell their rights to the software to third party developers, and they port it, sometimes doing an awful job.

*glares at copy of Heroes of Might and Magic 4*

The real beauty of the Mac platform, at least in my opinion, is the huge loyalty base - small developers who love the OS develop software for the Mac because they found a program that the platform needs. Open source rocks my world.

Seriously, I use products by Apple, Adobe, and Macromedia - everything else on my computer is third party / individual developers. And it's quality stuff, unlike what used to be out there for OS 9 and prior. How cool is that?

9. General Suicide macrumors newbie

PC, Better Than MAC

An argument used against the pc is that it is a high maintenance system, however, I would beg to differ, every argument about updates and viruses... Can be countered with this, almost every anti-virus, anti-spyware program, can be streamlined to do updates and scans, while you are not around or sleeping, microsoft updates can take care of themselves by turning automatic updates on. It is an easy process it's just most users don't take the 15 minutes to do it. So that argu
    ment is flawed. As for the person who says the mac is far less stable, I would point out that you said yourself that it is tweaked out the wazoo, that would be the cause of your stability. Macs are great in the field of video processing, as well as sound editing. But I will remain a loyal PC fan because of the huge variaty of programs, and abilities that the PC has. I also hate the fact that the macs, up till recently have made it so only mac parts will work for the mac computer, I realize this is starting to change, but it is still a large problem with the mac archetecture of business.

10. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Why resurrect this thread after nearly three years?

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Because he's a troll.

12. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Yep. This thread is a mechanism of pursusion. B/c most people here haven't made up their minds already. :rolleyes:

13. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    and he spells Mac, MAC :rolleyes:

also looks like he just pasted that reply in there too, probably posts the same thing on every Mac forum...

14. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, at least he was able to use the forum search mechanism to find the thread instead of trolling with a new one ;), and, honestly, it sounds to me more like an opinion than a true troll attempt.

We'll see if he comes back.... :)

16. dmcelroy macrumors newbie

PC server? Please!!

If you want a real Windows server with all the features and software you get with an XServe...you will spend twice as much. Buying a cheap PC and trying to make it a server is a recipie for disaster. Compare real servers to real servers. At my office our XServe has had a longer functional life than our Dell servers, cost a fraction of the price, requires little or no maintenance, and is a piece of cake to administer.

17. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Just wondering, how exactly did this process require a complete reinstallation of the OS??

18. vniow macrumors G4

Is it that difficult to notice the dates of threads before you reply to them??

19. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

What?
    General Suicide is the one who bummed this thread.
    Maybe you should get your facts straight. :rolleyes:

20. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

What the hell are you talking about? He quoted General Suicide in his post, not you.