Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atif.muhammad

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
none of your business
hey,

i want an iBook and i need to convince my parents enough to show that there is a significant different between the iBook and an ordinary Windows laptop.

my dad takes the price seriously.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
They look good
They work
They are beautiful
They are intuitive
They have great hardware and software interaction.

If your Dad is stuck on price... use some analogies...

e.g. I bought a new nice Pen (Mont Blanc roller ball) which clearly cost more than just about any other pen around... sure if writes beautifully.... but the downfall is that the refills are very expensive (AUD$10) each!

So not only do I go through refills quickly - but they are too expensive to justify using it every day...

Mac's are the opposite of this!
Most of my Windoze machines and laptops have required money to be spent on them just to keep them going...

Whether its hardware or software problems...
They used to slow down alot - get bogged under with spywayre, malware, and proctection software (anti virus programs, firewalls, internet security)... the hardware inside needed updating more regularly it seems than mac based platforms, and then even when I had laptops - which was most of the time... I had to replace screens, casings, the works.

Sure I'm only a new switcher, but most of the Mac people I know seem to keep their Mac's longer than most PC / Windoze laptop users, don't have anywhere near the hardware issues (and if they do have any hiccups - they are generally experienced soon after receiving it - so its covered under warranty).

There was an article on the net I remember even suggesting that Mac's are good value for money - and in some cases comparable - and even cheaper to run in the long term than Windoze machines...

Oh yeah another good reason - the Mac OS!
Take you Dad into the shop and let him play with one!
Even if he isn't a computer person (like my Dad) I was able to get him using my PB in about 10 mins! (not that I let anyone use my PB really though!!!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
An iBook with wireless included in the price is very cost-competitive with PCs. Also, the quality and durability of the iBook are phenomenal. And that's excluding the advantages and security of OS X vs XP.

atif.muhammad

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
none of your business
yes but all of these features come at a price though.

at the moment, i use linux and windows on a pc and if i got an iBook, i would happily ditch all the PCs'. I'll happily throw my current monitor down the stairs(its in my room, upstairs being used as a PC at the moment)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
atif.muhammad said:
If you're looking at buying an iBook vs buying nothing, then, yes, of course it's expensive. But if you're looking at buying an iBook vs a similarly spec'd PC laptop, then the price premium is marginal, and, to get a PC laptop with similar size and quality of the iBook, you'd pay more.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
atif.muhammad said:

at the moment, i use linux and windows on a pc and if i got an iBook, i would happily ditch all the PCs'. I'll happily throw my current monitor down the stairs(its in my room, upstairs being used as a PC at the moment)
I'd recommend going to an Apple store, and taking a look around, and playing with the iBooks for a while.

And don't throw your monitor down the stairs, you can use it as a second display with your iBook. ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Also, if you really want an iBook that bad, make some money doing something in your area and show your dad you're serious about getting an iBook so you can say I earned x and now all I need is y, which is less than z (the price of an iBook - x):D

Good luck,

D

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
atif.muhammad said:

But you can always hook that monitor to the iBook for better res on an external monitor.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
atif.muhammad said:
hey,

i want an iBook and i need to convince my parents enough to show that there is a significant different between the iBook and an ordinary Windows laptop.

my dad takes the price seriously.

just spec out a PC laptop wherever you like. configure and price it out at dell.com, hpshopping.com or anywhere else.

make sure to put the following on it:
1. XP Pro (because it's a bit more stable than XP Home and a better basis of comparison with OS X)
2. wireless-G
3. an office suite (MS Works or whatever else that isn't MS Office)
4. basic photo editing and organizing software
5. simple video editing software
6. basic DVD authoring software
7. loop-based music composition software
8. built-in IEEE1394
9. CDRW/DVD-ROM

you get the idea... build it online so it's comparable to an iBook, and print out those specs and its price. now print out the iBook's specs and price. show this to your dad.

if he says "what about the €500 PC laptop they're advertising in the newspaper," then you tell him about what that PC laptop lacks which makes it a poor comparison.

if that fails, well just ask your dad to consider this your Eid gift. if that's not enough, well the second Eid is coming up in just a couple more months so maybe you could ask him to consider it a gift for both Eids.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Also...

There is the Educational discount which can take off a good percentage of the price(5%-10%), depending on the model you get.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Somebody please put this with the rest of atif.muhammad's threads...

in the wasteland where it belongs. :p

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
When you talk to your parents about the PC vs. Mac, ask them about their biggest gripes about Windows. chances are it will include worries about security, malware, spyware, possibly (if they are using older PC) BSODs, difficulty making it recognize preferals. etc... Then talk to them about the ease of use of the Mac, the lack of spyware/malware the whole "it just works" philosophy. I also like Mr. Anderson's idea about offering to pay the difference for the comp. Also showing the total package price may be helpful. Dollar for Dollar, the iBook is really hard to beat for the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.