Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Yeah, I know, I'm going to get kicked off one day for asking all the PC question, but i long for a mac, I swear.
Anyways, I get an internet signal in my apartment, and its been fine the last couple of months. Yesterday, my computer stopped being able to get an IP address. I can still see the network, it just give me a little "you have limited or no connectivity" message. (I'm on XP). Now i was abling and disabling my wireless device yesterday a lot (in an attempt to get work done and not surf macrumors), can that have something to do with it? I can connect to other wireless networks just fine, just not this one, even though i get a great signal. (and no, there's no encryption, its still open). Anyone got any ideas? I tried repairing, it didn't work. Will a router not let you connect if you try too many times? Or is this just a silly XP problem. Grrr..

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
No kicking off, but hey we have all been there.
1.) reset your wireless router to factory settings.
2.) Check the channel, try different channels. (2.4 GHz phones can interfere, also street cars and electric busses)
3.) Find a sniffing program, and see what else is active in your building. Perhaps somebody else has a network that is interfering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.