Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
PC World in the UK have started selling the Mac Mini with a generic monitor included (17" or 19"), which puts it at a price point between the Mini (sans monitor) and the iMac basic. Doesn't say anything about a keyboard or mouse, and no free webcam - that really would make it the budget iMac. Also it only appears to be on the combo drive mini. I wouldn't buy it myself, but it shows that PC World are finally showing some initiative when it comes to the Mac. I imagine most people will go in to look at the Mini with Monitor and end up buying an iMac when they realize that the mouse, keyboard and iSight are built in.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...ProductList&category_oid=-27739&show_all=true

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
they're also falsely advertising this mac mini. the title says its core 2 duo, but then the detailed description says its not.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=434218&category_oid=

pc world make me laugh

Yeah, I would never trust any of the specs on the site. The top of the page says Core 2 Duo and the specs say Core Duo. I did pick up a half price iSight from them though and they do seem to sell off the end of line Apple kit cheap if you catch it at the right moment - Core Duo iMacs were cheap when the Core 2 Duos came in.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Indeed. DSG Retail as a whole are a joke.

I think that's rather unfair personally. The upper management and marketing definitely is, however there are a lot of very hard working sales staff there, it's just unfortunate that a lot of them are trapped by company policy and this sort of rubbish on the website as you mention.

It does make the shopping experience there rather unpleasent as a whole though I give you that.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I think that's rather unfair personally. The upper management and marketing definitely is, however there are a lot of very hard working sales staff there, it's just unfortunate that a lot of them are trapped by company policy and this sort of rubbish on the website as you mention.

It does make the shopping experience there rather unpleasent as a whole though I give you that.

When I was last in PC World they were telling someone they needed Windows versions of software to run on an iMac. They couldn't use the Mac software they already owned because the iMac now uses "Pentium" processors. THey would also need to buy anti-virus software etc. All this whilst pointing at a G5 iMac:rolleyes:

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

This is the company that sells 1m Ethernet Cables for £14.99 (Apple charges £7 for the same cable), and that whenever you go in the staff (and customers) know virtually nothing about computers, it's a tax on the ignorant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.