PC World editor-in-chief quits after senior vp kills Apple s...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 4, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: PC World editor-in-chief quits after senior vp kills Apple story
    Description:: Harry McCracken quit abruptly this week after IDG senior vice president Colin Crawford told him to kill a piece titled "Ten Things We Hate About Apple," reports Kim Zetter. Crawford was previously CEO of MacWorld and only started at PC World about a month ago. IDG owns both the PC World and MacWorld publications.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 68040

mattscott306

3. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

that irritated me as well - if you're going to quit over having something not get published, publish it anyway. :)

4. macrumors 68040

mattscott306

5. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

If a magazine is subject to censorship from computer companies, it loses its credibility. They should print the truth, good or bad, not what Steve and the other tech executives want to hear.

6. macrumors G5

nagromme

We can't know everything behind the scenes, but on the surface I'm inclined to side with McCracken, not the magazine (who denies McCracken's assertions).

I don't think he left over an Apple article though--he left over more important issues, and this instance was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Still, "PC World Editor Forced Out Due to Anti-Apple Stance" makes a better sound bite :)

Daring Fireball points out how questionable the story is--though I personally do find McCracken's claims at least plausible:

http://daringfireball.net/2007/05/mccracken_pc_world

Also note that Paul Thurott apparently believes that all Apple-related MacWorld--and now PC World--articles are submitted to Apple for approval in secret, and that only Apple themselves could have decided that this "Hate Apple" story wasn't worth publishing :p Another in a long string of secret conspiracies by evil Apple, in Thurott's view.... or the view he pretends to hold :p

7. macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

as long as money continues to drive us, there will never be real truth.

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

No. And the truth will never stop being a worthy goal to get as close to as we can, and to fight for, and to quit over :)

9. macrumors 603

solvs

Jason Snell, one of the big wigs at MacWorld, has disputed straight out the claims that anyone at Apple sees an article before it's published. If they criticize after, that's something else entirely. I wouldn't like it if they are bowing to advertisers, Apple and otherwise, which it something we heard a few weeks ago they were doing. But without seeing the article and hearing the reasons why it was canned straight from the source (even if it was obvious from the article), it's hard to know what to think.

10. macrumors P6

Peace

Just the title of the unpublished article "Ten things we hate about Apple" implies an op-ed piece and anti-Apple.Perhaps IDG didn't want PC World to look like the whole PC World community hates Apple.
    It also sounds like an ex Apple employee wanting to vent his displeasure for Apple.

I see nothing evil going on.

11. macrumors 603

solvs

He claimed it was harmless ribbing. We've certainly seen such things before, some are actually kinda funny and hit on some good points. I've heard this was just part of a larger problem he had with upper management on such things, but also that the article wasn't very good. Maybe both sides are somewhat justified, but somewhat in the wrong as well.

12. macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I agree on both accounts. It does stink if Crawford is pandering to Apple and other vendors. The updated Wired blog suggests that the piece was to be followed by a '10 things we love about Apple' piece and similar love/hate pieces for Microsoft, so i fail to see any reason to kill it.

13. macrumors 6502a

Killing the story doesn't make sense. :confused: They guy resigning for such a thing doesn't make sense.

14. macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

15. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

16. macrumors 603

solvs

Well, it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that good either.

17. macrumors P6

Peace