Pc World iMac 17" - Help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TBR, Apr 6, 2004.

1. TBR macrumors 6502

First of all I'm from the UK.
    My girlfriend suprised me today with a new iMac 17". (It's my birthday)

It's not a Powerbook G5 :) but I'm more than happy.
    Certainly a lot better than my old G4 533. (mmmm what to do with it?)

Anyway.......

She bought it from PC world two days ago and I was wondering. Wasn't I supposed to get iLife '04 free with it? Because I havn't!

Anyone know exactly what the deal is with iLife '04 in the UK?

If I was supposed too I'll be going back to the shop A.S.A.P.

Thanks

Ross

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't know why you didn't get iLife '04 with your iMac (I didn't either, but I don't need iLife anyway); you can either go back to the store and ask them or use Apple's iLife up-to-date program (you'll need to pay a £15 shipping and handling fee, which includes VAT). I got the update information here.

3. TBR thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I'll go to the shop tomorrow and see what I can do.

4. TBR thread starter macrumors 6502

iLife UK

Anyone wth an UK specific Knowledge please?

5. PlanB macrumors member

hi mate im from the uk and yeah pc world are idiots.......
    they tried to sell me a powerbook with 10.2 jaguar on it....

but i think they have the macs there for months and months

top pressie btw

where in the uk are you??

i would go back to pc world and try to get something for free...tell them they shouldnt sell out of date stuff and you want to get it updated

6. danbalsh macrumors regular

Hey TBR

I'm not supprised there was no iLife '04 installed on your iMac, PC World are swines for not updating the software on Mac's.

What spec is the iMac? did it come with Panther? PC World are total idiots when it comes to Macs they sell old ones at current prices!

You are well in your rights to take it back get a rufund (if you've only just got it) and go out and get an iMac from a proper reseller, I'd reccommend CanComUK

If that is not an option, the only other thing you do is like wrldwzrd89 said, and get the 'upto date' version.

7. PlanB macrumors member

yeah they will refund you no problem at all because they have a 28 day money back or exchange if your purchase is faulty ( i count out of date as faulty)

but if you dont want to upset you g/f then i would just send away for it or just pay 30 quid for it at john lewis or somewhere like that

8. TBR thread starter macrumors 6502

Finally sorted out...

First of all thanks for the help.

Well the iMac itself is fine. 17" usb2.0 nothing wrong hardware wise. All the latest bit's and bob's.

PC world basically said (after actually being quite helpful) that no I can't have a free copy, contact apple.

I hadn't held out much hope anyway so I thought I'd do the up-to-date thingy.

NOPE they have stopped doing that.

So I rang Apple up and talked to someone, I was really shocked as they were a familiar Irish Accent not an indian. :)

He basically said yes I have an older machine and that there wasn't anything they could do about it, it's up to the vendor to keep software bundles up to date, (or something along those lines)

He said that he would have sent the iLife up-to-date disks anyway even though the offer had ended as he was getting a couple of people ringing with this problem a day but apparently they are like gold dust and apple uk can't get any/have ran out.

So basically I have to pay for it at full price.

It's only £40 so thats not a problem really, specially for what you get. Although it would have been nice to get what you expect to get. And really should have.

might .torrent

9. cait-sith macrumors regular

wish i had your gf. mine won't even let me touch her powerbook without asking first. :(

10. TBR thread starter macrumors 6502

She also got me the iPod I'd been saving up for since the first generation appeared 2years ago for valentines day. :)

She say's I'm gonna get a ball of string for christmas :D