Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I_Harf

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thank G-d you do not have my troubles...

I bought a SONY notebook 2 years ago...when the first "jet-setters" were making there debut. Its a PIII 750mhz with 128mb ram. Also with it to make it functionable, I have the "docking station" which has a dvd drive and a floppy drive on it. If I could sum up my experience with this thing in two words it would be "IT BLOWS". After a year the notebook would shut off after 10 minutes, literally, just shut off. $400 later they said it wouldn't do that....but it did. Now I get an error message that says "your hard drive is about to fail, back up all your data immediately, etc." basically telling me, "go shoot yourself, you threw away $2500". I hate this thing. The fan is going the whole time while it is on. For those of you who have had pleasent experiences with PC notebooks, I envy you, but because of this bad experience I am looking elseware, hence Apple Powerbook 15" (oh god do I want one). Now I bought my first laptop on looks, and I said I would never do it again, for I claim in my head "I know too much about computers to ever make that mistake again" WRONG. I am convinced Apple Powerbook's are female, they are so G-d damn attractive I crave them...I guess I need some assurance that when I buy this dream creature that I will not only be pleased with its beauty, but also its reliability, performance and provide justification for making the "switch" and throwing away even more money.

Isaiah

PS I have started a thread in which I ask for some help...please help me out! Thanks, in advance.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
As an owner of a 15" PowerBook, I have to say that they are incredible machines. Although I haven't experienced any defects, there are a number of people complaining of screen issues, so I would recommend waiting for Apple to switch manufacturers so you don't end up with a bum LCD. As far as the laptop itself, it's got a great mix of high end features, speed, portability, and beauty. I hope if you do get one that it is everything you hope for.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by beefcake
siliconaddict: If you can't wait for the G5 PB, get a T40 IBM. Fantastic machine, its only downside is its size, but its very light to make up for this. I love my powerbook, but the worst thing you can do is switch prematurely and be stuck with a foreign OS on a machine that doesn't meet your expectations.

Yah everyone keeps telling me that. The IBM's are dang nice. My company just, literally weeks ago, drop dell as our laptop provider and moved to IBM. Have yet to get any in this office though.
What sucks is I keep threatening on these threads that if they don't come out with a G5 I'm gonna get a Pentium M. Who am I kidding?!?!? :rolleyes: :( I'm going to end up waiting. I haven’t waited 7 months to get another PC laptop. *sighs* trapped between heaven and hell.

*pictures Jobs browsing the forum smiling* ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!! ;)

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Of course, Jobs is reading your post as we speak from his PowerBook G5 while he smiles. :D
He's smiling because he's saving so much money in energy costs, as a PB G5 in every room has abolished all previous heating costs :p

I want to see one as much as the next guy, but it won't be for a while.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I believe next G5 laptops will appear not too long after the next G5 powermacs come out.

I've used a Panasonic Toughbook through the mil. It's like a $1,500 laptop and can play games and all even though your not suppose to on gov. computers. But I've seen video stop working on about 10 of them, screen going off and on, and the OS going blue screen on us didn't help either. To me it was clunky piece of plastic. I rather have my G4 15.2 titianum any day then that plastic crap I use to work with. I've recently switched two PC users to a 17inch PB's and 1 to a 2GHz G5 PM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.